Do you give your kid(s) allowance??

Do you give your kids allowance?? At what age did you start giving them allowance?? What are they required to do to receive their allowance?? (A good report card, chores around the house etc). When your child is not on their best bahavior do they still receive allowance or not?? How much for what age???

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Kids are 5 and 6 and I give them money not on a regular basis but for when I need them to pick up, help with yard work, if they did a good job with homework, etc. They get a few quarters or sometimes a buck. If I am bribing them, like to sit still for the camera for the xmas pic, dh gave them five bucks. They don't expect it and forget about it often.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'm not there yet but my kids will have set chores and then elective chores that I will pay them for. Failure to do set chores or poor school work will result in a lose of privileges.  I want them to have some understanding of working for and managing money at a young age.

Anonymous

• My kids don't get an allowance. They do chores but they are just expected to do them because they are part of the family and live in the house. They have to clean up after themselves and take care of their stuff. They don't get paid to do that.

The only thing they get money for is picking up litter in the yard (or on the entire street). The more litter they pick up the more money they get (they usually earn $1-$3 for their work). As they get older they'll get paid for doing extra chores, like washing windows, washing the car, etc. Stuff we don't do all the time. But right now they are just happy to pick up a few bucks here and there by cleaning up their neighborhood.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son is too young for an allowance now but i don't plan on giving him one. I'll get him whatever he needs and if he behaves and keeps his grades up of course there will be rewards...but as a regular thing, no. Why should kids be rewarded for doing what they should be doing anyway. When I say rewards for keeping his grades up, I don't mean cash, lol. He can pick out something special for dinner or we can go out to eat around report card time. the reward for good grades is being able to get into a decen college, not go splurge on a video games! I'm sure I'll have relatives that will want to give him money...that'll go into an account for college or a car.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 3:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my son will be 3 soon and we will be giving him an allowance based on his behavior he can get up to 4 dollars per week he will get two stickers each day one for listening to mommy and daddy and one for a good report from daycare these things are simple and if he gets all 14 stickers then we gift him to extras like a compleation bonus that will be 16 stickers and each sticker is worth one quater. so thats a total of 4 dollars
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My oldest is 9 and he doesn't get a regular allowance, but I will give him some money on occasion, if his behavior has been exceptionally well, or he has helped out with his brothers more than usual. I try not to give him money for doing his chores because I want him to understand he has to do them whether he gets paid or not. So the few times he gets money, he sees it as a treat and not a right.
    Anonymous

• Mine are also too young right now but I do plan on it. While I believe children should do chores without having to be paid, I think it could help with understanding how to handle money for when they get old enough for jobs. I got a very, very small allowance in high school, it really wasn't enough to do anything with unless I saved and saved but I was happy for it and it made the chores easier to do, IMO.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I started paying my kids to clean at about 9. As they got older the cleaning jobs got harder. Now they do their own rooms, a bathroom each, one does the dining room and family room, and one does the living room and office. They get $20/week now they are 16. If they want more money they have to ask for extra chores.
    Anonymous

• No. They just have chores as part of being a responsible member of our family. That's for my 9 year old and my 4 year old.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My husband and I don't get paid for doing chores; we have jobs that pay us, sometimes we get bonuses based on individual or corporate performance.

We pay our daughter for grades: $25-A; $10-B, 0-C -$10-D -$25F; she gets a $25 bonus if she makes the honor roll (based on letter grades) or principal's scholar (based on GPA).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2009