Do you stay in the room with the kid until he/she falls asleep?

My daughter just turned 3, she has been in her own room and sleeps in her bed since she was little over 2. She has a set bed time and I read her a story before her bed time and sing her a lullaby... its kind of a bed time routine for her. I used to stay in her room until she fell asleep. Now she is gotten used to it and insists that I dont leave the room until she is asleep. I feel bad to leave her while she is still awake, but I am expecting a baby next month and I want to change her habit. Do you stay with your kids until they fall asleep? If not how do you convince them?
She doesn't want me to pat or rock or anything, she just wants ME in the room.

SweKrish

Asked by SweKrish at 2:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, I don't for the reason you are having trouble. But I do promise to check back several times and I do. It works.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have never sat with my children to help them fall asleep. I lay my 5 yr old and 5 month old down and leave the room. My 5 yr old likes to have a night light and I leave on a small lamp for my baby. The only tine I stay with my kids when they fall asleep are when my baby nurses to sleep in the middle of the night or I let my older son sleep in my room. Unfortunatley I dk what to tell you. GL
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I've never done that, even when they were babies. They always go to bed awake and fall asleep on their own. I also didn't sing, rock, read, whatever at night. They get changed, brush their teeth, I tuck them in and kiss them good night and that's it. They are expected to go to sleep on their own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• no way.. and if i were you, break the habit now.. you need a life mommy. jsut explain to her that you have to go to your own bed, good night, hug and kiss...... if she gets out bed, cries, etc.... just explain it once more, and put her back. After that tell her goodnight if she does it again. After that, return her to bed with no words, etc...

She will get it eventually.
    Anonymous

• No, maybe you can start slowly moving the distance between where you are sitting and the door until you are out of the room? I never sat in my kid's rooms until they fell asleep, but I would take a timer with me into their room and tell them I would rub their back for 5 mins, or 10 mins. The timer would go off and I would leave. Sometimes they would ask me to stay longer, but I told them the timer had gone off and I had to leave.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No I never stayed in the room with any of my kids for this very reason! Now I tell them it's time for bed and they will go and lay down on their own. Maybe try telling her you will come back and check on her? Check on her then she may fall asleep before you have a chance to go back in.
    Anonymous

• i used to do that and I was in the same situation I was prego and just wanted to go to sleep I honestly just told her to go to sleep and if she got out of bed I would just send her back to her room with out following her I just demanded for her to go to bed and she would get up 4 times or more but I never caved in by the time you know it she is asleep even if she cries don't go into the room you can stand at the door and tell to go to bed and etc.
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 11:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009