Why is my newborn waking at 12am & not going back to sleep until 3am?

My DD is 8 days old & wakes every night around 12am & i breast feed her & she doesn't go back to sleep. She gets fussy so I end up giving her more milk thinking she is hungry but nothing satisfies her. Why every night from 12-3? Is this normal? What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds very normal for a newborn, sorry! It will get better though =) Good luck!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• it will pass, just keep things calm like not too much light in the room during those hours calm voices, just a very sleepy environment.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• she probably has her days & nights mixed up which is normal. you will both adjust soon and she'll get more on a schedule as she gets older, plus since you are bf'ing she will be hungry more often. it might help if you do like a pp said and keep things quiet and dimly lit during those hours so she eventually learns it's not a time to be up and about.
    Anonymous

• Aww Congratulations on your baby!!! It gets better. She is still getting used to life outside the womb.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 3:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• This is very normal. Eventually she will sleep through the night on a regular basis.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• u got your hands full
    try givin her a bath before u feed her then she will sleep longer
    u could increas her milk give her alittle more
    i found works good if u go to $store they have this baby wash with lavender in it its soothing
    i told my neice and she was so amasied
    her son had cilic yeah
    just give it a try and see if it dont work well talk to your dr then but i think u will be amaized
    Anonymous

• It's pretty common. They don't know that daytime is awake time and nighttime is sleep time. Give it time. But, when she wakes for that long period at night, don't play, keep lights low and sounds to a minimum. Don't ignore her obviously, but keep it low key, minimal stimulation. During the day, keep it bright, and loud (not LOUD, but you know what I mean)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Try using something called Oval Drops, you get them at any pharmacy. Let me tell you they have been my best friend since having a baby. Give the baby .25 ml before feeding ....follow directions on the box! You will be on your way to more sleep asap!
    DwarfStar

Answer by DwarfStar at 6:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009