Do you thing being a mother makes a woman more tolerant of race, religion and/or sexuality?

Please answer this question as honestly as you can and please do not bash each other for individual opinions. This is supposed to be a safe forum to share opinions.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 3:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it's actually a combination of what Anon and Sabrina said.

Motherhood makes you more aware of surroundings, people and situations but it also makes you want to raise your children in a healthy, fair and loving environment.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• yes. because I know I love my kids to death, the way other moms love their kids. I try to explain to my kids that we all come in different colors, shapes and sizes. When I'm volunteering and some kid annoys me I think "I bet if the Mom knew that kid was being a brat, she'd nip it in the bud!"
    Anonymous

• Nope. I think if anything motherhood makes women perceive danger in places it isn't even more. If someone was a bigot prior to having children I can only imagine that it would get worse, not better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• In some cases it has the opposite effect, thinking their way and their views is what their children should follow, and if heaven forbid they don't all hell can break loose.
    In my experience, I have a lot of mothers who although do not agree with me in certain stances, they see me as a loving mother who they can relate to in a way, and they somewhat understand what I am about.

Answer by older at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Ive always been really open to all types of life so I dont know how much more accepting I can be, I already just have a general love for humanity...honestly

but after having my baby I feel more for those who are rejected in society, I always think, what if that was my son and he had to live like this. So yes, i guess it makes me more compassionate even though I already am.

But as for ppl who are really judgemental i assume that would only increase because in their eyes the other is bad and they are good, so being a mother you want to protect your babies from bad..??
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes and no. I'd say more tolerant of one's own children and less tolerant of other people's behavior around one's children.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No it doesn't. If it did you would not see children holding signs protesting gay marriage. You wouldn't have mother's on her so against Islam or Atheism. And you wouldn't have pictures of women in KKK attire holding hands with a child in KKK attire.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No, being a mother doesn't make a woman more tolerant of others' differences. It can make a woman more patient and unselfish. However, a bigot mother usually just passes her views on to her children.

JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 7:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I dont think so. I think that people have their judgements and that they keep them after the children. If they did not why would there be so many kids growing up to hate people because they are different. I am not saying that is the case with anyone and I am sure that there are people who make a concious effort to change, but in my opinion if a woman were racist before she has kids not only is she probably still racist, but she is very likely to pass that on to her children.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I became LESS tollerent when I became a mother. I wanted to protect my kids from freaks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2009