Would you share your insight on being a mother?

What's it like for you, being a mother? How different is it from before you were a mother? Would you change anything about it? How has it changed you?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 3:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Before my children, I was a mess. Selfish, partying and on a downward spiral which would have ended with me in the gutter dead. They saved me; gave me purpose and something to look forward to everyday. I love being a mother more than anything in the world!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't really ever think of my life before my DD....its like she's always been here. I wouldn't change a thing. I feel blessed.
    Anonymous

• Being a Mom is about responsibility and love. I love more now than I ever have. I didn't fully know love until I had kids. I am also the most tired and mentally challenged I've ever been in life. I am constantly learning patience. It's made me a better person and I'm glad to have kids that have brought me perspective on life and other people. I've learned I can only control a few things and even little people speak their minds and I have to respect that! I've learned to let some stuff go but not myself. The laundry and cleaning but I fought this for years. If I could change anything, I'd hire a nanny so my dh and I could have more date nights.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Before I was a mother my life was limited to a certain kind of love, one for a brother a husband, after I became a mother I was in awe at the capacity for love I had, and in awe at the kind of unconditional love I had never really experienced. It has defenitely made me a better person in many ways, I can now relate to others in the same capacity which I couldn't before. There is nothing I would change, except maybe having them stay younger a bit longer, it all goes by sooo fast!
    I often come here and see the strain young mothers are in in the process of upbringing their kids, the trials and tribulations, that I myself went through, but back then I was too young to realize what I do now. I complained about the same tribulations most mothers do here, and in retrospect they are insignificant in the scheme of things. Everything comes and everythng goes, has it's time and it's place.

Answer by older at 3:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Also patience is the one thing that motherhood gave me I didn't have before.

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• By the time you've finished spamming every section of this website getting everyone else to write your article for you, are they all going to get a cut of whatever $10 you make from Associated Content 3 months from now?
    Anonymous

• My life before I had my kids is blurry. I remember it but most of the time it seems like that was someone else. I'm glad I had alone time but I wouldn't trade that time for how my life is now. I'm less concerned with little messes, toys and things like that on the floo, and I'm more patient. I feel like I have purpose now whereas before I felt directionless.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If a PP is correct in assuming you are writing an article, I'd love to help you, as long as I get to read it when its finished!
    For me, being a mother has become my education, my profession, and my hobby. You learn things being a mother that no time in any classroom could teach you. Among other things, you learn how to use your heart to guide your actions, you learn how to put your own needs in check, and you learn the difference b/t a want and a need. It's my profession b/c you put time and effort into this process that will, hopefully, come back around to reward you tenfold. Its my hobby b/c I truly enjoy putting time into this process and love thinking about new things to make his little life more fun and more educational. My life has changed dramatically since becoming a mother - I think of things I used to see as "important" and can't believe I ever thought such trivial things were worth my time. (con't)
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 4:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I see my life before motherhood as a badly-run dress-rehearsal - I learned how to care about others, how to function in the real world, etc. but was so erratic and uncoordinated about my priorities that the lessons never really took hold. Now, my mission to teach my son how to survive in the world has cemented those lessons and made them REAL for me. Only by teaching can one actually learn, in my opinion, what the world is all about. And boy, have I learned... I've learned that the little things (first smiles, imaginations, and hugs) are what REALLY matter in life, and that things like money, stress, friends, and drama will come and go and never really matter much in the long run. I've learned that you have to enjoy the fleeting little moments that make up your life, because those moments are what you will ultimately want to hold onto. And I've learned that messes and chaos are what make life worth living.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 4:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I learned that I a human and stronger than I ever thought possible. I used to be a perfectionist and so very driven by things that now seem so meaningless. I have learned that I do not have to be perfect to the the perfect Mother for MY kids. That what works for us may not work for others and that my way is the best way for me and my family but has no bearing on what may or may not work for you. My family is my priority and those that can not accept or understand that really have no significance to me, I am no longer the "pleaser" I was before I had kids.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2009