3 year old & eyedrops

My 3 year old has a nasty sinus infection that caused her eye to leak icky green stuff. Her doctor prescribed her an antibiotic eyedrop that I have to put 1 drop in each eye FOUR times a day and it's really traumatic for her. I have to literally hold her down and squeeze her tight so I can get the drop in. She screams bloody murder and truly hates it and I'm afraid I'm traumatizing her.. seriously lol. She says the drops don't hurt I think she just hates the idea. What can I do to make it easier for her?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have her leave her eye closed. Lay her on her back on the couch and put the drop in the corner of her eye and then tell her to blink. It's much easier than trying to have her hold her eye open. That's what works for our boys, GL..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• probably nothing. maybe tell her she can get a treat after its over, and if she doesnt freak.

I had to do these too to my son.. I just had to deal with him scremaing.. its over in a few days...
    Anonymous

• Exactly what MrsLeftlane said. That's what I did when I had to use drops on mine when he was younger.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree with MrsLeftlane. Keep her eye closed. It gets in through the lashes. Then they blink.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• call and see if they can prescribe the stuff that looks like petrolium jelly. You only have to dab it on the ye itself and so much easier than putting drops in a child's eye.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2009