Starting baby foods

Well my little one has been on the the rice cereal for about a month 1/2 now and LOVES it. Last week we started oatmeal just to see how it would go before we start anything else and she wasn't thrilled about it but she ate it okay. This week we are trying squash because somewhere along the road I heard the yellows and oranges digest easier... anyways to the point- what were your kid's favorites? and has anyone else heard the yellow/orange thing?
Also- when starting the baby food what kinds of reactions should I be looking for?
Is extreme fussiness at night (even though she gets the squash in the morning? and has always had the cereal at night?) a reaction to the squash or just because her schedules all thrown off because of the holidays?

bexjack

Asked by bexjack at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baked sweet potato avocado pumpkin (get the canned stuff and mix with the oatmeal! just grind up whatever you are eating

Two great books and websites, with differing philosophies: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My LO is 6 months and we started solids about 3 weeks ago. We skipped cereal and oatmeal and started with avacoado. I've been introducing a new food every 3 days. So far he's had avacado, sweet potato, acorn squash, bananas, pears, and peas. I've made it all! So far, pears are his favorite. He also liked the sweet potato.
    I've never heard anything special about yellow or orange foods. Although I have heard that nitrates in carrots could be a problem.
    Extreme fussiness could be a reaction to the food, but it could also be a reaction to the stress of the holidays. You probably won't know for sure until a bit later.
    I've been using this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/stage1_homemade_baby_food_recipes.htm to help guide me on solids. It might help you!
    Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009