Mirena questions (not sure where to post this)...

I got my Mirena put in yesterday. I was wondering how long I have to wait to have sex. I completely forgot to ask the doctor when I was there because we were discussing other things that at the time were a little more important, but now I'm curious about how long I should be waiting. Also, is it like other hormonal BCs where we still need to use condoms for awhile, or is it like the other IUD (ParaGuard copper IUD) where it is effective right away? The pamphlet just says it works with only one hormone & lasts for up to 5yrs, but not when it becomes effective. Sorry if these should be "duh" type questions, I've had other things on my mind & spaced when I should have been asking these questions...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I remember right its 72 hours. But I could be wrong.
    lovebug0928

Answer by lovebug0928 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It all depends on your period. Generally, you need to wait one week (7 days). You didn't state anything about your cycle and that is the deciding factor here. If you choose to have sex, the Mirena might not work. I am surprised your doctor didn't tell you all of this, because mine did.

I'd suggest using a condom if you choose to have sex.

Good luck!

Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I am currently on my period. My doctor wanted me to be on it when I got it put in, something about making sure I'm not pregnant & the convenience of my future cycles. So does that mean if I have sex it wont work? Do I always need a condom between cycles?? I'm confused...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009