How early can you do a paternity test?

I just found out that I am pregnant. I have been off birth control for a few months and have been using condoms. The father is one of 2 men. How early can the baby be tested?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As soon as you pop that puppy out!!!!

It can be done before birth, but it's dangerous for the baby then.
    Anonymous

• The minute the baby is born.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• ok, maybe not the minute but after birth

• One of my friends had a paternity test done when they did an amnio test. She has it sent out to some lab and I think it cost about $500. You can google paternity test and find out more info.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• They can do it with the amnio, but I wouldn't risk having an amnio JUST for a paternity test when it's not truly necessary until after the birth. If you are having one anyway though, you can do it then. Otherwise, they can test the baby as soon as its born. Congrats.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• gosh I sence you are not married to either one...I would hold your tong. when the baby is born do what feels right "politely" yea right.....well usually they will ask you at the hosp.. if you wish a test I belive the 1st one is free talk with your DR. if all else fails you are woman shhhh, and their is always here..as far as being a father it takes more than semen a lot more....my advice be honest and let the chips fall where they may. bring a child into this messy world is never bad. I give you "props" (my kids say that) be careful life is a funny thing,I wish you well!
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2009