Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The father of my 7 year old daughter recently passed away very unexpectedly. I believe she is entitled to receive social security benefits and possibly has a stake in some property the father had, but I never made things legal by adding him to the birth certificate. Can anything be done?

His family doesn't like me so I've stayed away. His widow did give me a copy of the death certificate for my daughter and said she would be willing to tell social security that she is his child but I have no real proof. What are my options, if any?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (19)
  • The proof is that your daughter is his, their not going to dig so deep to where they need a DNA test, but if you never collected support from him before they are going to question the childs actual need.

    in any case ,having the widow give you the death certificate is enough, so go file get the mulah and call it a day

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • I say your option is to QUIT BEING A SCAM ARTIST! For one YOUR daughter was too good to be in her fathers life when he was ALIVE and now that he is DEAD you wanna see what YOU can get out of it! This has NOTHING to do with your daughter, and EVERYTHING to do with how much YOU can make off of a man dying! If it was important to you for your daughter to know who her father was you wouldn't have been twiddling your finger for SEVEN YEARS! You would have had him on her birth certificate. Now you wanna add him on there to see if YOU can make any social security or property gains by exploiding your daughter. What a shame! its just a damn shame that you are like this. I feel bad for your little girl. You need to realize that you need to raise your daughter! Get a job, and support your baby, for crying out loud!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • RELAX anon 4:03!~

    How do you not know that she is not thinking of the best interest of her DD? What if her father had a college fund for her? What if she IS entitled to some of his property or social security? This would be a good thing for her DD, regardless if you think the OP is being selfish or not.

    All you can do is try. If his widow was nice enough to give you a copy of the death certificate, she just may be able to help you get what your daughter may deserve. Anyway, there is a good chance he put her social security number down for things like 401K, life insurance, social security....i know that my DD's social security # is all over the place in my financial records so that she can recieve what she deserves whenever i happen to die.

    Just do what you can! Did her father have any other children?

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • I agree with Anon @ 3:03

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • Are you insane?

    First of all, I have a job...and my own home, and a car, that I paid for ON MY OWN.

    Secondly, my daughter's father was in her life FROM THE DAY SHE WAS BORN UNTIL HE DIED. He is not on the birth certificate because he helped care for her very well even though we were not married. Between the two of us, we kept the insane court system out of our lives and had amicable custody and financial arrangements.

    YOU should be ashamed of yourself for deciding to believe the very worst thing possible.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • No, she was his only child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • Then file and get his SSI for your daughter. As far as property goes, if he didn't leave that to her, it belongs to his wife.

    Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • I would contact an estate lawyer.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • I guess my question is- how can I prove she is his daughter without him being on the birth certificate? Will I even be asked to "prove" it? Will school records and medical suffice? His name is on those as father.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • I really doubt they will ask for her birth certificate. Even if his name is not on there that really doesn't mean anything. He acted as her legal father for 7 years.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.