Is It Better for Bread to be Kept in the Fridge or Not?

currently i keep my bread and other bread products in the fridge but i have heard that makes them spoil faster. is this true? where do you keep your bread?

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 4:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I keep mine in the fridge, but I live in Hawaii. Bread goes dry really fast here and becomes hard. A loaf, unless we use it all, generally lasts about 2-3 weeks.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• keeping bread out spoils it faster not in the frig. i freeze my bread and it stays longer.
    mom2tristNChloe

Answer by mom2tristNChloe at 4:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i keep mine in the microwave. and if it gets hard, you just have to heat it in the microwave for like 10 secs, and its soft again :)
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• we keep ours in the freezer

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I keep mine in a bread box.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I usually keep mine on the counter unless it's really warm out but I've never heard that bread spoils faster in the fridge. Bananas do, though.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 4:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We keep ours in the refrigerator and I found it actually lasts longer than when we left it out. I also buy an extra loaf that we freeze and take it out when we need it. Sandwiches are big in my house, so keeping bread in stock is a must.
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 4:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Keep it in the freezer or in the bread bin. Keeping it in the fridge makes it go stale. It won't go moldy but it will get dry and tasteless.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I keep my bread, rolls, etc., in the fridge. When I was a kid we always kept our bread in a breadbox on the counter and it seemed to MOLD in just a few days. As a grownup with my own household, my husband and I just decided to keep our bread in the fridge and it lasts much longer. that is, until my teenage boys get home and eat everything in sight.... :-)
    kathysboys

Answer by kathysboys at 9:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I never thought of all that. I keep what we are using on the counter and if I want to hold on to it a while I freeze it....although the bread box is cute and stylish I do not know of any reason it would keep longer...eat faster...you got me on that one....
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009