My husband was put on contract status--can he get unemployment?

My husband's company did not lay him off, but he is on contract status (1099 aka self employment) and will only be called if he is needed. The term "layoff" wasn't used specifically but he is no longer an employee. Can he collect unemployment? We just hope he isn't screwed...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• All I can suggest is to contact your local unemployment office either by phone or online... (better off online) and find out...
    But some of the ppl I know that were 1099 were not able to collect... each case is different thou...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He should be eligible for unemployment compensation, as long as he actively looks for a job and reports all hours worked and earnings.

You may want to join the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group; there are lots of great job hunting tips.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• that sound like a ? for the IRS, I would think they would be the most prepared to answer and the 1 you want, gosh I have never heard of that term...independent contractor? gosh you know try your local library, even if you ask the first librarian you see they are usually really helpful, good luck honey
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't know.

I run a small business and am going to be moving 2 jobs to contractor status. My employees will be working the same job and getting the same salary though...no wage loss. I am getting slammed with a bunch of new taxes in my state and thought I was going to have to cut salaries. Boy and I glad I did some serious research first. I am saving a significant amount by doing this. My 2 employees are happy too, they are going to be work at home moms! I am providing the machines and materials and they will do the work from home, I don't care when they do it, day/night and hour here and hour there, just as long as it meets my delivery schedule.

I would be worried if I were you too. Good luck.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2009