How and When should I start my baby on solids?

My daughter is 4 months old and her doctor told us yesterday that I can start her on cereal... Some people tell me to feed it to her at night and some say in the morning.... And how much should I feed her the cereal and how often? And should she still get her regular bottles and cereal? Sorry for all the questions but I just dont know much about this! :( Also if she doesnt like the cereal can I try come baby food?

heatherjenea

Asked by heatherjenea at 4:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once she starts eating the cereal wait a few weeks then you can start giving her baby food. But only the stage one. Some of the cans even have the recommended ages. Check that out first. Once you do that only give her a little bit the first day to make sure she doesnt get an allergic reaction. And do that for every new food you introduce to her. The gerber canned food for babies can be put into the fridge and will last about 2 - 3 days. It says on the label. so make sure you read it first. Or you can even puree fruits and veggies yourself. But my daughter loved the canned gerber foods.
    Anonymous

• see how she does with the cereal and then if shes ok with it, take a good ripe avocado and puree it up and let her try that.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 4:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We started my son(now 3) and my daughter(4.5m) on solids at 4 months.
    Some people think doing it at night is better since it is supposed to keep them fuller longer but I've found that feeding it to them in the afternoon worked best for us.
    At least until their little bodies adjusted to the new food.

Right now my DD gets cereal once a day but we'll increase it as she adjusts to it. Still give regular bottle feedings but replace one with a cereal feeding and see how it goes.

Every baby is different so it's all trial and error until you figure out what works best for them and yourself.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• thanks! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 4:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I gave my daughter both. When I started I gave her a real little bit. Mix the cereal in with her formula so it looks like a paste. Then when my daughter was done with the cereal I gave her a little bit of formula to wash it down.
    Anonymous

• You CAN but don't have to. IMO, 4 mos is too young. This is JUST MY OPINION. I'd give it a little more time. To start, offer a few spoonfuls after her nursing/formula. Anytime is fine really. I'd also skip that cereal junk, because I think it's garbage. I'd start with a fruit or veggie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'd say start off giving it to her in the morning or afternoon first to see how she does with it. and only give her a little. Then in about a week, increase the amount you give her. And as long as she does okay with it I'd give it to her at night because it should make her fuller so she should sleep a little longer.
    Anonymous

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Two great books/websites, with differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning: www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009