how old did was your child when they started drinking from a regular cup?

my son is 20 months and he drank from a cup the other day without spilling but i don't think he is old enough to convert yet. he has drank out of a cup before and done ok but he usually spills a little. i just realized that i have no idea at what age most children stop using sippy cups.

Rendezvous2.2

Asked by Rendezvous2.2 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Back in the in thelate 70's early 80's when I was raising my DD's. there was know such thing as sippy cups. so they went from bottle to regular plastic cup.

Answer by louise2 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• sorry for the mistype in the question lol. i started to word it one way and then changed my mind and apparently i didn't backspace enough lol.
    Rendezvous2.2

Answer by Rendezvous2.2 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Our son is 5 months old and we are starting him on cups. He of course still nurses but we also give him a little bit of water in a glass. We hold it and he drinks, usually without spilling. I think whenever your child starts showing an interest and capability of using a cup, let him try it out. Just train him with water so if he spills it wont stain.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Around 2 my kids transitioned from sippy's to regular cups when they were sitting at the table. But I am already getting my 13 month old used to drinking out of a cup by giving him sips from mine when we are at the table (as long as I'm having water and not crystal light). All of my brothers, my sister and I were on regular cups at the age of 1 - before the invention of sippy cups.

Answer by missanc at 6:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• At 12 months my son grabbed a regualr cup and started drinking out of it without really spilling any. And he learned that just by watching adults do it, nobody taught him. He's 16 months now and though he can and likes to drink from a regular cup I wouldn't dare give him all his drinks in one. He hasn't quite gotten the concept that when we're done taking a drink we put the cup down, not carry it around and drop it on the floor! I'll stick with the sippy cups for now lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• babies as young as 6 months can use a regular cup...sippy cups really are just for convenience....lol. they arent really necessary. my 9 month old DD does pretty well with a regular cup, although she does dump it out when shes bored or finished with it, so i only put a ounce or two in the cup at a time. we only use sippys if we are out and about. if your little man is doing well with a cup, i say get rid of the sippy!! i let my oldest DD use a sippy until she was 3 because it was easier for me, and it was just as hard to get that away from her as it was to get her off the breast and off the paci.

if you still want him to use something that isnt going to be too big of a mess, try a cup with a straw too.
    LKLMommy

Answer by LKLMommy at 9:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009