I'm 14 wks preg. My sisters and friends all told me that they just knew the baby was ok. And they were so happy through there pregnancy. I don't have any maternal feelings. Nothing feels different like some inner radar that says "your having a baby!" Its really scary. Is this normal?

heatherhill

Asked by heatherhill at 4:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Very normal. Especially if you don't have any symptoms, you really don't feel pregnant. Even with morning sickness and sore boobs and such, I didn't feel pregnant until I could really feel him tumbling around in there and I was visibly showing. It doesn't get real for awhile. I was like Froggy girl, I kept waiting for my son's "real" parents to come pick him up any day. It's surreal, and it can take awhile for it to really sink in. I promise, you're SOO not the only preggo mommy who's felt this way! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• You are only 14 weeks, give it time. I hated being pregnant but I love my children. Not everyone enjoys pregnancy and it's ok not to enjoy it.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• its normal. I didn't really start "feeling" maternal until i was almost due, a little bit more when i found out it was a boy(just because i could pick out a name and start calling it a him with actually knowing). The whole maternal stuff really didn't hit me full on until my son was born and i was able to hold him and such.

just give it time...when the baby starts kicking things will seem more real.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Its perfectly normal, my daughter is 3 weeks old today, im still waiting for her "real parents" to come get her. it honestly just feels like im babysitting. But, they say before long you feel that bond of "HOLY CRAP IM A PARENT!"
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You are only 31/2 months/14 week pregnant. The baby has not even started to moving yet.

Answer by louise2 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• totally normal. my DH knew I was pregs before I did.. every time. once you feel the baby, that connection will start.
    Anonymous

• I feelthe same way :( I just want to see a freaking ultrasound to see that something is really there!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 5:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• This is totally normal. A lot of women don't feel "connected" to the baby until they hold it, and some don't feel connected for weeks. Its Ok. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with your baby or with you. It could be that you are trying too hard or that you are too worried about everything to feel connected. You will eventually become connected to your baby.

However, that being said, if you start to feel disconnected from life in general, depressed, extremely anxious, or just numb, you should probably tell your doctor because there is such a thing as pre-partum depression.
    Anonymous

• Just wait til you feel the baby move...in about 5 weeks. Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Just wait... it gets worse. Many women who fret about not feeling maternal end up having really vivid, horrible dreams, usually later than you are when the hormones really fill your body.

It's normal to have gross, vivid dreams. It's normal to feel 'normal' until someone mentions it or you suddenly remember (or the baby moves or whatever) that you're pregnant. It's normal to lack any sense of connection to a person you've never met --even if it is alive in your body.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009