My son keeps holding his breath

My son is 11 months old, when he gets really mad about something he will stop breathing. Has anyone else had this problem. if so what sis yall do. please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've heard of kids doing this..its not really dangerous at all, because if he does hold it long enough he will faint but as soon as that happens he will start breathing again.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• YOu have to let them work through this. I have seen many kids do this. They will outgrow it. If they hold their breath long enough they will pass out and then start breathing again. I have watched kids do this. Don't give in and let it happen. When he realizes that he can't get his way then he will stop.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• one of mine did that. it will not hurt him. you can not intentionally suffocate yourself by holding your breath. if he passes out, he will start breathing again on his own.

the sooner you stop reacting to it, the sooner the behavior will stop. some take longer to outgrow it, but they will- eventually.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My husband used to do it. It worked with his grandmother, so he kept doing it until he was nearly 5.

You just have to get used to what it looks like when he passes out and know that he's not going to hurt himself or actuall suffocate, so you can placidly ignore it, while making sure he doesn't fall onto anything hard when he goes.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My friend's child does this and they will pick him up and toss him in the air slightly to get him to catch his breath or spray himw ith a little water. He doesn't do it as often anymore
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 10:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009