Do you see an grammatical error in this sentence? Me and DH are having a debate with DD homework.

Receive text messages via your pager, cell phone, email or fax; or receive live calls directly to your cell or home phone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Did you do it on WORD?? Looks fine spellingwise, but the whole thing seems like a fragment.
    Anonymous

• MLA style requires a comma after the word email in the first clause. Chicago/ AP style does not. For research papers, school papers, university papers, etc. one should use MLA. This is in the section on punctuation. It is called commas in a series.

The grammar error in the question is "DH and I are having..."

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You are not supposed to start a sentence with Me... It should be Dear Hubby and I.... but of course his name and not DH should be used.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It is not a fragment. It is a "command" voiced sentence with the implied "you" (2nd person) as the subject.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't think the semi-colon and then "or" beginning the next phrase is correct
    It should be either "..via your pager, cell phone, e-mail or fax, or receive live calls..." (comma, not semi-colon) OR it should be divided into 2 sentences.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 508. A semicolon joins two sentences with no joining word (not sure what the correct grammar term for or is!)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Receive text messages via your pager, cell phone, email or fax; or receive live calls directly to your cell or home phone.

This is a run on sentence. The correct way to write it would be:

You can receive text messages via pager, cell phone, email or fax. Live calls come through directly to your cell or home phone.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous

• It would be :"My DH and I...." for one thing. Not "Me and DH...."
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The semi colon shouldn't be there. If you can rewrite the sentence in the assignment I agree with how anon rewrote it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think the semi colon is actually okay, but it does seem like a fragment. There is an error in the question you asked. "Do yu see AN grammatical error..."
    Anonymous