My sons new fave toy is a naked barbie he found at a goodwill and screamed to have.

He wants to take it in public but its really inappropriate I think. He refuses to leave its clothes on and kisses it. He also thinks its halarious that she has a "butt crack"

So my question is, how would you handle it?

I'm thinking about throwing it away when he's not looking maybe. But he really likes it and it rides his trucks and he plays with it like you would any action figure. He makes barbie drive a fire truck and puts her in the bed of a truck to play with her too.

So do you think I should throw it away or just leave it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Mine plays with his sisters old barbies and brat dolls in the bath only. He doesn't really want to take them anywhere with him. I wouldn't worry about it. Just say that barbie will get too cold out of the house with no clothing on. Ignore most of it and it won't become a big deal. The more you make of it, the more it will egg him on.

This same ds of the bathtub barbies also loved to ask me if I had a penis in public. I would calmly answer him (while dying of laughter inside) and after a while he stopped. The only time I scolded him for it was when he asked a stranger/older lady.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would just leave it be but it wouldnt hurt to get some gender neutral clothes and tell him he has to dress the doll to go in public or it stays home but at home it prob doesnt matter.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• How old is he, lol?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would tell him that she has to be dressed to be in public and that is the end of it. If she isn't dressed then she has to stay home. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. All boys go through phases like this with particular "girl" toys.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't be concerned with the naked barbie as much as he screamed in a store and you gave in and gave him what he wanted. That's a bigger problem. Giving into tantrums now leads to bigger tantrums over bigger things.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He's 3.
    Anonymous

• one of my son's loves anything pink- and is not shy about telling people it is his favorite color. the other has long hair and wants it in pigtails all of the time. they dress up in their sisters clothes, and play with dolls... oh well, she climbs trees, plays in the mud, builds things... i think its healthy for them if the parents can get past gender specific stereotypes.

i would leave it alone. i never owned a barbie- i loved my tonka trucks & Gi Joes though!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• it is just a doll..and personally i wouldnt really think anything of it if i saw him carrying it around in public naked lol

if you throw it away when he isn't around you will devastate him...in a 3 yr old way.

what's the big deal?....try what others have said about her getting cold if you go out in public and needing clothes.

I agree with legalmommy the bigger issue would be that he screamed for it in the store and you gave it to him.

My son is 2 and luckily doesn't do this much, but if he does scream, he doesn't get the item.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you don't want him to take it out naked then give it some clothes and tell him it needs to be dressed before it leaves the house, just like he does.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You could draw a bathing suit on it in felt pen. Most permanent markers will not come off.

Make sure you ask him which colours he wants...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009