if you were induced...

what was it like?
i am bein induced on new years :)) and am so excited to hold my baby boy, but at the same time i am nervous!

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine was non-medical. I preferred the natural experience I had with the next baby/delivery.
    Is this because of medical complications? Or can you wait if your body isn't favorable yet, until later on?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was induced with my first DD for medical reasoning but because it was my first baby I didn't really have anything to compare it to. After being hooked up to the pitocin it took about and hour or so for the contraction's to begin. For the first 7 hours the contractions were very bearable and very consistent. About 8 hours into it they broke my water and about 15 Min's after that came the horribly strong contractions and then about 11 hours into it I was begging for the epidural after getting that it was wonderful and an hour later I had my DD pain free and was able to enjoy the whole birthing experience. Over all it wasn't that bad and honestly nothing to stress and worry yourself about. Congrats!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 6:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i got induced. and i wish i would have just waited until my body was ready. i went in dialated to 3cms, and thought i was having contractions. well, i wasnt and since i was past my due date, they talked me into getting pitocin. a few hours after, nothing really happened, i dialated to 7, but nothing. so they cranked it up more. it started hurting so bad, so i got my epidural. (i didnt want one of those either, but i was in such pain). a couple hours after that i was at 9 cms, but kept having the urge to push. they would tell me to "skip" this contraction...but with the pitocin, you cant help it, they just keep coming. they broke my water at 9, to hopefully get me to 10 cms, but i just pushed thru it. i pushed for 2 hours, and they almost had to do a c-section. i simply wasnt ready. i wouldnt do it ever again.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i was induced and for me it was so much easier than going into labor because I knew when it was going to happen. I knew that my two older kids were safely at my mother's house and was able to relax because I wasn't worried about them. It didn't hurt any more than my previous two vaginal deliveries (although I did end up having an epi with all 3). And it was over quickly - pitocin drip started at 6 pm, my daughter was born at 11 pm. It was wonderful and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I hadn't had to have a csection with my 4th (who wasn't induced, but had to be csection due to weight concerns)

Answer by missanc at 6:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have been induced with all of my children the first my cervix wasn't favorable so I was given cervadil- my water broke at 420am the next morning and I had my son at 928am my second i was 4.5 cm and 85% effaced when I went into the hospital I was given pitocin - it took about an hour or so for it to kick in once it did I delivered my dd in 27min- my water didn't break until I was pushing her out - my contractions were never unbearable my third I was 3cm 80% effaced when I went into the hospital they broke my water and started the pitocin- it kicked in immediately and I had my dd 1 1/2 later- this delivery was slight;y more painful then my second but not as painful as my first I only received an epidural with my first when I was 10cm dilated and it barely kicked in before I delivered. the other 2 were "natural" I think my water breaking had more of an effect then the pitocin- which I never received with my first

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• First off everyone's experience is different so don't let it scare you. I was induced one time for medical reasons and it wasn't all that bad. I made it to five centimeters before I needed an epidural. Make sure you discuss ALL the risks with your OB before you get it because sometimes all you need to start labor is a good enema. Contractions are painful and strong, but don't let that scrare you. They HAVE to be good and strong in order to push the baby out. Your personal experience with it will depend on your threshhold of pain. There may be an increased need for a c-section or not again it depends on your body not ours. Be prepared to have one if absolutely necessary. It's not a failing if you need it. Induction is really not all that different from natural labor. Can't say if it hurts more or less cause everyone is different and every pregnancy is different. Good luck!!! Stay Positive!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was induced with my 3rd baby after 6 weeks of non productive labour.

it was very fast and intense - more so than the first two which progressed on their own.

I think its the speed and intensity that scares people. make sure your dh knows that if you lose control that he has to take over and help. good coaching and encouragement comes in at that point.

if you feel you're losing control ask for epidural - it did wonders for me. I regained myself and could concentrate on delivering baby.

good luck.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• yes i'm getting induced bc i have high blood pressure...thanks everyone!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was induced twice, one for medical reasons at 37 weeks and one for the fear of a quick labor & the need for GBS meds at 38 weeks. Both were just by getting my water broken with no pitocin.

#1... my water was broken at about 10:30a (only 2 cm) and I was instantly in horrible pain from the strong contractions and I got my epi at about 11:45. They checked me at noon and I was 4cm and about 50 minutes later I started feeling pressure and they checked me and I was 10 cm and I started pushing at 1 and my son was born at 1:14p. It was painful from the start but was quick and easy and he was born totally healthy.

#2... I was 5cm going into the induction. They broke my water at 9:15a and I got the epi at 10:30. I was not in pain yet but was having frequent (every 2 min) contractions so I got the epi early. They checked me at 1:30 and I was still 5cm but at 1:45 I was 10cm and began pushing. She was born at 1:53p
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was induced for medical reasons with both of my pregnancies and they were quick. My first was a stillbirth at 32 weeks and I was already 2.5 cm dilated and 90% effaced. My bag of waters was broken around 5-6 cm, and the nurse reminded me that, given the circumstances, no one would look ill at me taking medication, so I had dilaudid, only one time, though. From start to finish, it was under 4.5 hours.
    My second, I had pre-eclampsia starting with my 35 week preemie. I was already 3.5 cm and 70% effaced, though, so she would have been soon in the coming. Again, my waters were broken around 5-6. This time, though, I had PLANNED to go "pain" drug-free. The contractions were coming quickly and I was managing well, until my baby girl stopped tolerating them so brightly. I took ONE dose of stadol, refusing the epidural, and it insinged the nurse! Again, my little one was born within about 5 hours of starting pitocin.
    peanut06

Answer by peanut06 at 8:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009