Just curious how many times should you throw up before seeking medical attention?

I know this is corny, but yesterday got the stomach from my DS,,,he only vomited about 3 times and had some loose stools. I got hit at 3 p.m yesterday and honestly couldn't leave the bathroom for over 10 hours! I have never been so sick in my life, and kind of started to panic,,,All better now, but I am sure that throwing up over 100 times could have been dangerous,,,DH wasn't to concerned but in 42 years I have never felt so bad, even after 48 hours of labor!!! I feel shaky today, and still can't eat, but wondered if you would have gone to the ER, or just rode it out?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 5:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Health

• I've been that sick like that more than a few times in my life. You should not eat anything heavy, fluid diet the first day or two with lots of water, and sleep if you can as much as you can. Then ease yourself back onto foods. You will more than likely feel weak for awhile, but it did no harm in you not going to the hospital (not that I'd recommend not going if you feel you should), you will need to monitor yourself till you're on the mend. I hope you get well soon!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I had this a couple of weeks ago. I vomited for 12-13 hours straight, right down to dry heaves. I couldn't keep anything down, not even the anti-nausea! It did eventually calm down. I would give it another 12 hours unless you faint or something. If it goes on that much longer you run the risk of making yourself even sicker with dehydration. If you are too concerned call you PCP and ask a nurse. It is miserable and I couldn't hardly eat anything for days, ended up losing about 10 lbs. Water is rougher onthe stomach than gatorade and ginger ale, so when you can keep things down, stick to those and saltines (ESPECIALLY gatorade for re-hydration).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would have just rode it out. I hope you are drinking liquids if not eating. Drink some broth,or anything you can drink. You are probably a little dehydrated.

Answer by louise2 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I can't imagine having enough food in your stomach for all that vomiting. At one time I had dry heaves for about an hour and I went to the ER and got a shot. My stomach muscles were spasming and they gave me a shot that made it stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• After the first few times it was just dry heaves and any gingerale I was trying to force myself to drink! Couldn't eat that much,,LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you can't actually drink anything, what I have done is go for a tablespoon or two of gatorade at a time and wait, to see if it stays down. If it does, go for it again. You've got to make sure you get liquids in you and water, like the PP said, hurts the tummy so much worse. Gatorade, powerade, diluted juice(really watered down) After you can keep a little liquid down go for a little plain chicken broth. Not too much and in tiny sips, much like the gatorade, at first. Good luck!!! I know how it feels...
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• if just vomiting and no high fever i would ride it out so long as I didn't feel that there was dehydration , but if there is fear of dehydration then off to the doc you go :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would just ride it out. Next time try drinking a tablespoon of syrup from a can of peaches. It has to be the heavy syrup. My DD's peds. told me to do that for her and it worked. I haven't tried it on myself though.
    mantamoo

Answer by mantamoo at 6:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I've had the typical 24-36 hour bug about 10 times in my life. It is not fun sleeping in the bathroom. Don't bother eating until it has passed...your just further shocking your digestive system. Try to stay hydrated with electrolyte drinks or ice pops...sometimes sucking on ice cubes is soothing. When you feel like you can eat again start with the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I know I'll get bashed for this but it worked for me. I never smoke pot anymore, but if I have a stomach bug, I call my aunt and tell her to bring me some. Not advocated recreational drug use...it just really helped with the stomach spasms.

Anonymous

• I call if what's coming up is tinged with blood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2009