Do you consider your child smart?

My DD is 19 months. She speaks well, I mean full sentences and clear. She can count to 12 by herself and 20 with help. She can count to 5 in spanish. She almost knows how to spell her name. Her name is 5 letters long and she knows the first 3 letters. She also knows almost the whole alphabet. Compared to my 2 cousins whose children are over 2 don't speak just babble. I'm thinking are they slow or is she just really intelligent? Not being rude just really curious to know if this is normal for a child her age since other children don't seem to be at the same level.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes both of my kids are smart
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my son has always been a fast learner and i've always took the time to teach him things...a lot of kids do learn faster than others and a lot of parents do put more of an effort in spending the time to teach their kids things than some do..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Both my kids were the same way. Maybe theyll get a scholarship to college :-D
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It is normal for your child.. Don't play the comparison game.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• she is smart but just because they don't speak does not mean they are behind. My son said just 20 words at age 2. I of course was concerned and was prepared to do whatever to get him talking. AT his check up the doc was not even concerned! I was like OMG are you kidding.... so he said wait and he will talk. The fact that they babble is good. So thats what I did and everyday he said handfuls of new words and by 3 he spoke better than all my friends kids that were once ahead of him. It just amazed me! My girls talked much younger as many girls do but you have 1 kid whom is smart but don't go off compating acting like she is genious because others don't do what she does.
    Anonymous

• That your child is doing things a little earlier than the norm doesn't mean she's smarter than the kids who are a little behind in the norm. Smart is about using the brain development that's available, not about the speed or pace (or even the order) of the brain development that is occuring.

I've known a number of kids who read well before 3 and about the same number who couldn't read until after 11. At 16 it was impossible to tell --even from their oral reading ability-- who learned first and who had read the longest. When they can, they do.

Your daughter may be precocious in her reading ability, but she may be well behind the boys down the street who are throwing and catching balls, or using controllers to drive the Wii.

I consider people who are alert and aware of their world, and curious about it all the time, to be 'smart' --walking in front of a moving vehicle you failed to notice is the opposite of smart.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• agree with rkoloms. every child is different so whatever your child does is normal. if she were creating mathematical equations or writing novels at 19 months then I would say she is smart. she doesn't sound any more advanced than usual.
    Anonymous

• comparing will only cause you trouble.
    my son is 17 months, he says maybe 8 words consistantly, doesn't count and doesn't spell his name. he is incredibly smart and constantly learning. he knows which lightswitches turn which lights on, he helps me unload the dishwasher, he can put his own (slip on) shoes on, and he can point out all the parts on his body. he can throw and bounce a ball and he can jump and walk backwards. he is just as smart as yours, he is just learning different things and developing in different ways. he'll count and speel his name when he is ready.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• *spell...
    jcsmummy

• Each child is different and develop at their own rate. Your child may be more advanced with language with your cousins may be more advanced with phsyical development. Overall, I think the majority of kids are about the same. Or at least have the ability to be the same. It depends on how much interaction they get, their natural ability, and general education of those caring for them. So while my daughter is 2 and can talk up a storm now and do all kinds of things, well, so can all the other kids in her day care. But some of the kids who stay home with parents who don't education, just play with or set their kids in front of the tv -- she looks like a genius compared to those! But those kids will catch up when they are exposed to more eduction.

Does that make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2009