Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there someplace online I can get the application for the first-time home buyer tax refund?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (6)
  • IRS form 5405

    Doesn't sound like a very good deal, since the credit has to be REPAID over the next 15 years with each tax return filed.,,id=186831,00.html


    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • The first time home buyer tax credit DOES NOT have to be repaid. The application is buying a house, but it's too late to do it for 2009, since the end date was November 1st. We bought our house in October and are looking at getting back 6500 from the FTHB Tax Credit. Again, it DOES NOT have to be repaid. There are some that do, but the one that was for 2009 does not have to be repaid.

    If you're looking to buy for this year you've missed your chance. There isn't an application other then closing on a house before the end date. Which has ended. There might not be one for next year. If you did infact buy a home this year, then you will already have the paper work. Talk to your lender about which papers you need to give to your tax refund specialist when you file your taxes.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • By the way I think thats kind of crappy. SOME of them have to be repaid (last years) but some dont(this years)? Thats stupid. I dont qualify for either, so no dog in the fight, but I still thing its very unfair!

    Answer by momof030404 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • OP here... we bought this house August of this year, and from what I heard, they've extended the deadline on the paperwork until April 30. Thank you!

    Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • The deadline was extended to the Spring and was extended to those who have lived in their home for 5 years are selling that home and buying a different house. I would wait and file this with your tax return if you file an amended 08 return you won't see the money for 12-18 weeks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • You don't repay this either unless you sell your home within three years or use the property as a rental. I personally don't think anyone should get the credit unless they have actually paid in 8k in taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.