Dilating at 31 weeks and 2 days

I am currently 2 cm dilated with ALOT of pain and my contractions are now about 10-12 mins apart. They hurt horribly. Before you say anything I already called my OB and went in, they sent me home... I'm concerned what will happen if my son is born now? What can they do to stop the labor? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated! I had a preemie with my DD but that was 36 weeks and a whole different ball game.

JalynnMarie407

Asked by JalynnMarie407 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Have you been drinking alot of fluids like water? Dehydration is one of the top reasons for pre-term labor. Also if the contractions become more regular, going to the hospital might help, they can give you meds to stop labor. Once they stop the contractions they can give you the meds to take at home as well if the contractions start back up.. Hang in their mom :) Sorry I can't remember the name of the med but maybe another mom will..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I am constantly drinking water, they didn't say I was dehydrated.... I eat ice alot too, don't ask me why it's just a craving I guess...
    JalynnMarie407

Answer by JalynnMarie407 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• well honey i dont know what is going on, i mean obviously you are having contractions, but if they arent making you dialate anymore then they wont do much. iwhen i had preterm labor the they gave me a shots, but i went into preterm labor quite often. i had my son at 33 weeks and 5 days, he was healthy and came home with me. he was 6lbs 14oz. i know that isnt the "norm" but it can happen.

if you keep having contractions, i would say go to labor and delivery! do what feels right to you!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i went into preterm labor...earlier then you, and they gave me meds to stop it, and put me on bedrest for 2 weeks.

If you feel the need to, go into labor and delivery, the worst that will happen is they will send you back home.

good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you were seen by your doc or in L&D then I am sure there is nothing to be concerned about. If they felt that your contactions were regular or strong enough they could have given you a shot to stop labor or sent you home with anti-contractions meds (or both)

Being 2 cm at 31 weeks is scary but is really not that uncommon and does not mean your baby will come early. I was 2 cm at 31 weeks with baby #2 and 2cm at 29 weeks with this baby and was still 2cm at my last appt at 36 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2009