Can a baby born between 20 to 25 weeks survive?

itsagirl200801

Asked by itsagirl200801 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes but the longer they are in the womb the better

Answer by admckenzie at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The earliest I know of a baby surviving is 28 weeks, but I'm sure there are some extraordinary circumstances where it has happened.

Answer by missanc at 7:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I had a baby at 20 weeks did not survive, the Dr.'s told me he is not fully developed inside at 20 weeks so there is no way he can survive, by the time I gave birth to him he came out brussed and all he had was a heart beat, he fit in the palm of my hand, my baby lived for an hour and then died.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If I remember, the youngest baby to ever survive was gauged at 23 weeks -- massive brain damage, tremendous physical challenges and 18months on life support, but technically 'alive.'

I personally think that doctors who do that should be tried for crimes against humanity.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Amen @ linda
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i am living proof! i was born at 23 weeks.....i weighed 1lb 1 oz
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My sister had her daughter at 22 1/2 weeks and she lived for 2 months before she passed.. The only thing that child knew was PAIN.. she never got to eat because she bowels wouldn't work right it was awful.. After watching would she had to go through I would never have another child go through that EVER again! I love her with all my heart and sole but she is in a much better place than what she had to live in!
    Anonymous

• anything before 25 weeks has no chance of survival honest truth anything after 28 weeks has a good chance of surviving so longer the baby is in the womb the better so good luck to all!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son was born at 24 weeks 1 lb 6 oz and he's 2.5 now. There is a 50/50 chance at 24 weeks. Check out a few pics on my profile of my son at birth. That's what it will look like. Very scary but it can be done. "Science only goes so far, then comes God." -Line from "The Notebook" never made sense to me until July 19 2007, the day my son was born.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• The youngest was at 21W+6D gestation in 2007. (Story here)

Here is a good article with a chance of survival by weeks of gestation chart.

If you are asking because of your own pregnancy, I hope everything comes out ok. Good luck, mama  :)

emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2009