Baby Boys..

I am havng a baby boy in march. First boy in my family in a very long time (My house was full of girls , poor dad) so I am kinda nervous. I was wondering when I have him circumcised is it very painful afterwards when he urinates? How long does it usually take to heal? I have a daughter and I am used to being around baby girls(sisters) so I am really worrying about figuring out "boy stuff'. My bf's mom raised six boys and she said they are a breeze. Any more advice or tips on taking care of baby boys?

ashley_2187

Asked by ashley_2187 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Circumcision is a personal choice. I did both of my boys and never had any problems. I don't have girls so I can't say if they are easier or not. I tend to think girls are easier before they hit the teen years and then it flips and boys are much easier through the teen years.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Don't worry, it looks awful but they don't complain. Make sure you use either vasoline or neosporin (put it on in a big glop all over the tip) and gauze so it won't stick to his diaper. It only takes a few days to heal.

Boys are GREAT! I have 2 and they're a breeze!

Congrats!
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have two boys and both circumcised one in the hospital and one at the Dr.s office, the both healed really fast within a couple of days, I think as mothers it hurts us more to know about the procedure then it actually hurts the boys getting it done, just follow the directions the Dr. will give you which are very simple and you should be just fine.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My dad raised three boys and four girls. He says there isn't any difference in boys vs. girls.
    I am raising a boy and a girl as well.. They're one year and 2 months. So far there isn't any difference aside from parts.
    It's been easy raising them thus far.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my son was circumsized i do believe it bothered him for about a week afterwards it wasnt cut they put a ring around it and i didnt have to do anything to it was pretty easy he would cry for me to change his diaper usually right after he peed that was about it though
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 8:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Honey, you don't need to circ. I'm not. I'm having a boy in January. Here are medically referenced reasons why you don't need to do that.
    http://www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son was born a year ago, and I have him circumcised. It seems more painful to use just b/c we know what they are doing. But I think it took just about a week for my son to heal. He wasn't fussy at all when we got home and was changing him. Just put a lot of vaseline on the gauze and stuck it in his diaper so it would stick to the circ. My son has been for the most part very easy to raise. He is a lot of fun too! Congrats on your soon to be born baby boy!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Glob of Neopsporin all day long and it's fine. Baby boys are such a joy. I also grew up with all girls and now have two boys. They are such innocent, lovely creatures!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I had my baby boy circumcised and it took about 10 days for it to fall off and heal. It will hurt initially, but doesn't seem to bother them after. It will be tons easier to clean and take care of his "package" if it is circumcised. I never had any issues with it. My husband and I both wanted him circumcised. The hospital will give you directions on how to deal with it when you leave the hospital to go home. It is be fine. Don't stress or worry.
    Mrs6six

Answer by Mrs6six at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009