Is there anything I can do at home to help my anxious child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is your child anxious over? Need more information.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Rescue Remedy

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Look at the sources of stress that your child's confronting. While some temperaments are much more prone to anxiety than others, no child is naturally anxiety-ridden.

Is the child's sleep space a place of peace and safety?
    Does the child end up in the room with violent, dark, frightening tv (hockey, football and news count) or movies?
    Are there a lot of comings and goings of visitors, or residents (students, family, foster kids, etc.)?
    Is there a lot of talk in the house about how bad things are (economy, politics, environment, religion, war, etc.)?
    Are there predictable parts of the day that happen every day (dinner times, park visits, visitors, naps, reading times)?
    Does the child have a safe place to play, supervised, daily in a natural setting --playgrounds, parks, grassy, treed areas?
    Are the adults in the child's life prone to angry outbursts -no matter who they're aimed at?
    Does the child get hugs?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Lots of children have anxiety. Some children are more anxious than others. Still some other children have a true generalized anxiety disorder. If this were me and noticed my child was above average in nervousness/anxiety I would talk to his primary care provider. I would also look at my routine. I know that is important to have as much routine as possible. This doesn't mean a strict schedule but enough a routine that my child would know what comes next. I would document times my child was more anxious or had episodes of anxiety and then try to see if there were any common triggers. Sometimes kids can't tell you what caused them to start feeling anxious. But we can get an idea by journaling. Then I would bring the journal in to my child's doctor next appointment. Also in the journal would be our routine, foods, sleeping habits...anything to provide insight. At home I would create some very structured activities.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This may look like a calming bath before bed each night, snuggle time, singing reading stories before bed....good breakfasts and plenty of play time together. I also would personal do some play therapy techniques....but I am also a trained therapist. So most parents wouldn't be able to do that. You can however use regular play as way to connect and when you play - try not to correct your child. Just be, listen, allow yourself to be directed by your child without judgement. This often helps give children a sense of independence and it transfers into other areas of their lives. If you notice you do have a solid routine, there are no major stressors in the home, and your child seems to have have anxiety in general - you may want to consider a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders. You can do everything right and some children still have anxiety issues. It is not a result of poor parenting - it just happens.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• frogdawg- this is op. if a child is exposed to parental conflict a lot that can lead to anxiety issues in the child right? so, if the parents can and do change that it should help reduce that a lot but it doesn't completely fix it? is it possible to completely change the child's environment and have the child's anxiety go away unless of course like you said they just have anxiety already?
    Anonymous