How do I get through this sleepingproblem phase of 9-mo-old?

My 9-month-old daughter was a pretty good sleeper--she'd maybe fuss for a few mintues before bed or before a nap, but then would go right out and sleep through. Starting the day after Christmas, she would not go down for a nap w/o screaming and crying resulting in me having to lie down with her to get her calmed down and asleep before I could move her to her own bed (where she'd fuss for a minute and then sleep). For the last three nights, she's woken up and resulted in her sleeping with us (something we have never tolerated). We were visiting inlaws, so felt a little pressure to just get her quiet, but we are home and it is horrible. We've never heard her scream like this (even w/four teeth and an ear infection).

Any tips or do we just wait it out and let her scream? (I finally managed to get her down, but was 45 minutes later and had me rocking her).

newmommy0409

Asked by newmommy0409 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its a phase to test you to see what you will do. She likes that if she screams she gets your attention, and gets it fast. You can try the cry or in your case scream it out method. Let her do it for 5-10 min intervals then peek in to check on her w/o her seeing you. If it continues for another 5 or 10 min then maybe try laying her down and patting or rubbing back if it still continues after 30 min then try rocking. Its rough, but thats what we had to do with our son and we are now having to do it again...he is gonna be 1 saturday and has figured out if he cries really hard someone will come in...so I am gonna have to be stronger and not go in right away! lol Hope this helps
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• She is NOT manipulating you. this is a normal phase of development, To not come when a baby cries is cruel. She needs it reiforced that you are there and are coming back, You can do things to soothe but avoid cio, it can male the axiety much worse.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009