Would you say??

That once a politician is voted into an office that it gives them a ticket to do whatever they want?

Are they then excused from listening to the majority on things like bills that will have a big effect on the country?

Are you under the impression that is how it goes and was intended to be?

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that's what they think. Problem is, they end up being bought by special interests and the constituency gets thrown under the bus. I don't think this is how it was intended to be though.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well, that is precisely how they are behaving. But that is NOT how our founding fathers intended for the system to work.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He was deomcratically elected to do the job and make the hard decisions as are all your reps. Don't like it, protest, or vote them put.

For the last 8 years, MANY protested and screamed and yelled, still Bush did what he wanted......as he was elected too....THAT is their job. I would have LOVE to have been able to get him to LISTEN to ME, but alasm he did not.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

Yes, actually it is. You don't get an individual vote on every topic. You get a few to get reps to makes them decisions for us....that is exactly HOW it is supposed to work

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• For the last 8 years, MANY protested and screamed and yelled, still Bush did what he wanted......as he was elected too....THAT is their job. I would have LOVE to have been able to get him to LISTEN to ME, but alasm he did not.....

You know whats CRAZY....I am PRETTY sure Obama was voted in because he promised CHANGE and to be different.  No go there tho. :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• "You know whats CRAZY....I am PRETTY sure Obama was voted in because he promised CHANGE and to be different. No go there tho. :)"

Ah, only 12 months ago people were excited about CHANGE. Now, people who voted for him want us to be happy with "more of the same" and "all politicians do that". I'm sorry they suffered through Bush, but shouldn't those who HAD high hopes still have HIGH standards?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Manco- I have seen comments stating disenchantment with some of Obama's recent decisions (I have posted this myself), yet I still have hope that the next 3 years will bring some positive outcomes for the US and her citizens. MY standards have not changed, 1 iota. I voted for the candidate who appeared to bring more to the table in 2008, additionally I doubt that the other candidate would have this country in any better shape had he been elected. Just because it appears MOST politicians are in the I scratch your back you scratch mine, and let's all get reelected game, it does not mean that OUR standards have to plummet- the 2 do not go hand-in-hand @ least in my mind-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Good post,Sisteract. I agree.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes, Sister, you have expressed your dissatisfaction with Obama. It takes courage to do that. Admirable.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes, actually it is. You don't get an individual vote on every topic. You get a few to get reps to makes them decisions for us....that is exactly HOW it is supposed to work

sweet, you made the OP's point. You get it!!! Good for you! We can't all vote on each issue that is why we elect people to REPRESENT us...those reps that make the decisions....and that is how it is SUPPOSED to work.

It is sad though that it isn't working this way now. I think history will judge the current "crop" of representatives and this administration as one of the most corrupt in the history of the nation.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009