Grandparent's sitting in kids room and watching them sleep?

I had to go out the other day and I ask my fil to come over to watch my son. My had just fall asleep before he came over and when my fil got there I told him he was sleeping and will be getting up in a hour, he told me fine. When I came back from doing what I had to do I didn't see my fil anywhere then when he heard me I saw my son's door open and him walking out saying I though he was getting up and I said to me ok but I told you he takes a nap for about a hour but he didn't tell me he was in there watching him until I saw the chair in his room. I was a little upset because to me having someone else watch my kids sleep is kind of creepy even thought it's my husband father but my son has been sick the last couple of days and have been having trouble sleeping at night and his door makes noise when he wakes up. So how do you feel about in laws or your parent's watching your kids sleep.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ehh, It would make me uncomfortable too. I understand him possibly wanting to check on him, but actually sitting in the room watching him sleep is weird.

Maybe it's because I'm not a grandparent, but I would feel the same way as you do...
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 9:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think that it is sweet. Don't you ever watch your child sleep? Watching my daughter sleeps makes me feel peaceful.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i'm sure he was just fascinated watching his grandson sleep! my parents were mesmerized when I first took him home from the hospital and laid him down. They watched him for a long time because it was a precious thing to witness! I get mesmerized listening to my son sleep on the monitor every night.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• doesn't sound creepy if my FIL had done it? guess it just depends on your FIL's history? I would think from what you posted that he has some questionable stuff in his passed? My FIL is GREAT. I wouldn't have a problem with anything he did in regards to my son
    Anonymous

• Your overthinking this. Imagine how your going to be with your grandkids...having a baby around after 25 years without one. He was probably thinking back on his own son.
    Anonymous

• I agree with rkoloms to a point... I might peek in on them and watch them for a minute or two, but I've never just pulled up a chair and sat in their rooms...
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 9:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't find anything creepy about it, unless he had locked the bedroom door or something like that. I think he was just being a responsible baby sitter. Maybe he just felt more safe being in the room with him, rather than chilling out in the other room and not being able to hear him when he woke up. I wouldn't read into it.
    Anonymous

• well i would say that since he has been having trouble sleeping I think he was just being extra carefull. Otherwise yeah it would be kinda weird. Just be thankfull he doesnt say he goign to watch them and end up working out side the whole time you were gone with you kids running around getting their new clothes stained from the red dirt because your FIL wasnt watching them... AT ALL! Oh sorry went a little off there but you get the idea... lol
    Anonymous

• No problem here:)...what if it was your dad?I mean as long as he is a good guy that is his grandson.My mom always watches my sons and I find it sweet that she adores my kids.
    Anonymous

• what'd you want him to do. go outside and smoke a stogie? i think watching sleeping kids is very relaxing. sounds like he was being responsible and didn't want anything to go awry while he was on watch. obviously, there's nothing about your FIL that would make you weary of his actions with your child or you wouldn't have left the child in his care, right?
    be thankful and appreciative..don't look for problems where there aren't any.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009