switched from formula to regular milk. my DD is extremely constipated, cries when she poops, what to do??!

I have watered down her milk, given her more water. Given her more fruitgs with water in it like grapes and melon. Given her even prunes everyday but still poops hard balls! She screams sometimes and has a hemmoirad (sorry spelling). What do I do? She's 13mths old. And has been like this for over a mth and a half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe ditch the milk and give her almond milk?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Back in my day we put a tablespoon of corn syrup in the milk to keep that from happening. Not sure if you allow her to eat sugar so you should call her doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would try soy milk, my friend had this problem soy milk solved it .
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You dont necessarily need to give a kid over age of 1 milk. its not necessary, why dont you just give her water and watered down organic juice?
    Anonymous

• If you are using whole/vitiman D milk try switching to 2%, 1% or skim milk. My kids and I can't drink whole/vitiman D milk and have the same result. We drink 2% with no problems. Good luck.
    spcjones_83

Answer by spcjones_83 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Stop dairy, bananas, meat, processed sugars and flours. Give her (well, the whole family) fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you didn't ease her into it by adding the milk slowly into her formula, then her body didn't have any time to adjust. Her body is reacting this harshly, because milk is a hard thing for the body to get used to. Ease off the milk for a while. Switch back to formula. Then talk with her Pedi about alternatives to milk. It might be that her body cannot adjust to the effects milk can have on a toddler's body. Try giving her two-three ounces of juice (not watered down). That will help her body pass the stool easier, unless she has never had juice before. That can have the same effects on the body as milk can. Try peas, they can be a natural stool softner as well as NATURAL prune juice. None of that artificial stuff, that's nothing but flavored sugar water.

Talk to her pedi. You should've talked to her pedi after a week or two of this. Letting it go on this long has only made your daughter miserable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• OP here-i have talked to her pedi and listened to all her advice. It still isn't working. You really shouldn't assume that I haven't. I'm not a total idiot ya know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• With my son we cut back his total milk intake in a day... he had been taking around 20oz and now he only gets about 10 oz a day and we also changed him to 2% and it solved his constipation problems.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Switch to Lactaid. That solved my daughters same problem.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2009