How old does my child have to be before I should worry about bedwetting? What should I do about it?

annetters

Asked by annetters at 10:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• When they don't wear a pullup anymore you should think about it. I bought the nice bed cover from The Company Store that wasn't plastic. It was great for the few accidents my kid had.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Our doctor said not to worry until they are 9 and still wetting the bed every single night or soaking through a pull-up.
    My son wet the bed regularly until he was almost 7 and now only occasionally (he's 8 now).
    My 7yo daughter still wets the bed almost every single night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my son is three and a half. he wets the bed about 5 nights a week. im not worried about it. ill start worrying when he is 6. he doesnt wear pull ups anymore. hes getting better and better with not wetting the bed at night and i think its because when he pees it wakes him up so he knows hes doing it. ive found that occasionally he gets up and goes to the bathroom on his own. im loving that! i stopped the pull ups about 4 months ago when i had my second child. we couldnt really afford the pull ups anymore so we said ok, no more. and it works to an extent. i dont mind doing the sheets twice a week instead of one. i just rinse them when he pees so they dont stink and then wash them when i have the time. we only have a million sheets so it works for us. but this is just me and my opinion on it =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• When they are fully used to using the bath room and suddenly start regressing. I would stop drinks after 8pm and see how it goes from there. Did it with all 4 of mine. Still do it with my 6yr old because she will occasionally have an accident!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Don't go crazy with this...my son was a bedwetter and we finally got relief when the dr. prescribed a nasal spray that completely stopped the bedwetting. As it was explained to me, some children are lacking a hormone that enables them to hold their urine through the night. The nasal spray replaces this hormone and it was a miracle for me. If I remember correctly, my son had to be 6 before he could use this medication. (He's 20 now, so my memory is a bit shaky). When my third child was born, my 7 yr. old daughter started regressing and wetting the bed. Again, I turned to the medicine and it worked wonders. Sorry I do not remember the name of it but ask your pediatrician. It may be expensive but so are pull-ups and the frustration can be so avoided. I was also told that children who lack this hormone generally have it kick in at the age of 9. Don't wait that long!!!! PS...I did not notice any side effects...
    gmama2mikey

Answer by gmama2mikey at 10:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have an 11 yr old boy who still wets the bed on occasion. The doctor is not worried about it because it doesn't happen every night, it runs in the family, and he is a VERY heavy sleeper. What helps him though is we cut off all drinks 2 hrs before bed and he has an alarm clock that is set to go off 4 hrs after he goes to bed. Most of the time it wakes him up and he doesn't have any accidents but occasionally they happen.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Find out if it's hereditary. My whole family and my husband's wet the bed until they were 7 or so. I got that nasal spray, and it worked like magic. So, there are options either way.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009