I had my 6 or 7 week ultrasound and there is no heartbeat. The Dr seemed concerned. Has this happened to anyone? I took a blood test to chek my levels and then another on in 2 days if they are higher than the first it is a good sign if not I'll probably miscarry..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How far along was your baby measuring? I had an u/s at 6 weeks with baby #2 but the doc warned me beforehand that it was very likely that we would not see a heartbeat yet. With baby #3 I had an u/s the day I turned 7 weeks and we could see the heartbeat. So the difference between 6 and 7 weeks is HUGE when it comes to a visible heartbeat
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't know why he would be concerned about not seeing/hearing the hearbeat this early. I mean that baby is teeny tiney - the US equipment would have to be mightly sensitive to pick up the sound or see it! I wouldn't worry just yet, JMO.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Usually a h/b can be seen around six weeks by a transvaginal u/s. If you are off by a couple of days, you may not see it. Having your beta hcgs should give you an idea of what's going on, but a better option would be to have another u/s in a week or so to see whether a h/b is apparent then. I've had some friends who didn't see a h/b at six weeks but did see one when they went back in a week's time- try to be optimistic!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I always saw mine at six weeks. Maybe you aren't six weeks. There is no concrete way to know exactly how far along you are.
    4-5 weeks it's hard to see anything. Hang in there!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i wouldnt be worried they didnt see a fetal pole or heartbeat til a little over 6 weeks so i wouldnt be worried get another opinoun or wait for 2 more weeks to repeat the ultra sound ur still very earlY!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was nine weeks when they didn't find a heartbeat. I had miscarried.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• So many times you ovulated late or the baby was fertilized late. So, even though they say you are six weeks along, you could be a week earlier. I think this is why so many doctors now won't do an ultrasound until 9 weeks. Even at my 9 week ultrasound, I measured at 7 weeks. I was scared to say the least, but I have a happy and healthy 11 month old now.

Don't worry. Do your blood tests and ask for another ultrasound in a week or two. 6 weeks is sooooooo early that even a day or two could throw it off!
    Lissachck

Answer by Lissachck at 12:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• not sure of all your circumstances but....

we could never find the HB of my middle dd. the placenta was right in the front, and she'd hide behind it, especially when I was in the beginning trimester - lots of room to move around and places to hide. we did keep doing the tests to make sure there was a baby.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009