when should my child feed themselves with a spoon?

my son is 22 months and i try everyday to feed him with a spoon,i do the hand over hand and then when i think hes doing well,i let him try and he just flips it before it gets to his mouth...i feel like im not doing enough as a parent to help him with this,and i have no idea how to help him past what ive already done....any answers will suffice.

fluffypenguin21

Asked by fluffypenguin21 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Listen, if he doesn't get it right off the bat it's perfectly fine. That doesn't make you a bad teacher, and that doesn't mean he'll never get it. That only means he needs time to get the hang of it. Most kids don't get it right off the bat.

Since you've already shown him how, you now just need to sit back and let him try it himself. Give him positive encouragement when he does it, or even gets close. Even if he flips it say "Very close. Can you try it again?" The more you encourage him the more he'll want to try and get it right. Show him once, and then sit back and let him do it. He'll get it soon enough.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• well he should be able to feed himself by now with minimal messes. I have three and all three fed themself by thisage. My youngest is 21 mos and she feeds herself. I start with my kids with lots of finger foods before 1 and at 12mos every time I feed them I give them the fork or spoon and let them practice toward the end of the meal. All my kids by age 14-15mos did really well and yeah they made some messes but the more that they practice the better they get as with anything. Honestly its just preacticing those motor skills.
    Anonymous

• I let mine try from a year on. Also get toddler spoons and let him go. You do it for him why should he try?
    Anonymous

• my boy is 17 months. i let him feed himself. he is messy, but he does get enough food in. if you are feeding him then he may give up and just not try. my guy took about a month of trying before he could get the spoon to his mouth without dumping it, and even now it's hit and miss. learning is messy :)
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My 3 older kids all used toddler utensils well before their 2nd birthdays. My youngest was using toddler utensils very well by 15 months (by watching his sibs).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Start with sticky stuff, and don't stress. My 15 month old is pretty decent with a spoon, but it is by no means perfect. She actually does better with a fork. She can stab food pretty well. :) But a spoon is more difficult to coordinate because of the balance. She is eating thick oatmeal right now and doing pretty well. Not perfect, but good enough.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• my daughter is feeding herself now . She is 1 but it is still a bit messy. I guess it depends on your schedule mom. If you are always going to important places where he can't have spills in his clothes , allow him to eat non messy items! You are doing a great job!
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 10:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think by this age he should be able to eat with a spoon well.
    My son is 17 months and has been eating with a spoon since he was about a year... sometimes it's messy, other times it's fine, depending on what we are eating.
    Start with foods that don't fall off... like thick oatmeal or mashed potatoes. And then just let him practice. Most will miss his mouth at first but he'll get better.
    What kind of spoon are you using? You should use something that is short with a thick, easy to grip handle.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• well i use toddler spoons,i know he would get it by now if he wasnt so picky,like hes all about the texture of food.it cant have any lumps in it.i think thats my problem i just did it for him and now he doesnt want to do it himself.....grrr i suck
    fluffypenguin21

Answer by fluffypenguin21 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009