Going to sleep on his own

My DS will only gp to sleep if I rock him. How do I get him to start falling asleep on his own?

kimmie123

Asked by kimmie123 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would like to know answers to this as well.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• How old is he? Does he sleep on his belly or back?
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Some kids don't develop that particular skill until they are 2+. It's a maturity thing, not much you can do to change it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• "There's nothing you can do to change it" ... That's a crock.
    Honestly, there is ALWAYS something you can do to change anything. My suggestion is to start it off easy. Tuck him in his bed and tell him that you can't rock him to sleep tonight. Let him know you'll be in the other room if he needs you. Make sure his belly is full, he's warm, and comfortable, then just walk out of the room. He might put up a fuss, but if you stay consistant and put him back in his bed each time he'll understand. Don't keep reassuring him, don't keep telling him why, just put him back into bed without saying a word. He's looking for you to react verbally, because that validates him getting out of bed. He's looking for you to give in, but don't. Just keep putting him back in bed and he'll understand and go to sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• " That's a crock."

Well... if you want to leave an infant to scream until they pass out from exhaustion and after days or weeks gives up entirely, sure, that might change it... but not always. I tried everything BUT the aforementioned screaming to sleep and my son just needed helped to sleep until after he was 2. Some kids just don't have the skills, again, it's a maturity thing. Some kids will do it no prob with a little encouragement, but some just can't.

And I don't think an infant is going to understand when you say you'll be in the other room. They won't know why you are leaving them or where you are going.

They're only little this once... he'll outgrow the need, I don't see the big deal with waiting until he's ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• He's 7 mos and he sleeps on his back.
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yeah, too early to be reasoned with. He WILL outgrow this.

Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution." But really, they ALL grow into sleeping on their own when THEY are ready. What YOU want has little to do with anything. **wink**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Maybe rock him until he is just almost alseep. I mean right around the corner from dreamland then quietly put him in his crib. If he is fussing a bit, put your hand on him and either shhhhhh or softly sing or hum. Let him know that you are there with touch and sound. That might work, but just if he's fussing a little. If it's hardcore then pick him up and either repeat the process or try again the next night. I am not a fan of cio mostly because not all babies are ready for things at the same time.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2009