How much should my 6 week old be eating?

My 6 week old seems to be hungry a lot and eats 3 to 3.5 oz every 3 to 4 hrs, but when I saw a nutritionist recently she told me that I should watch her weight ( she just hit 9 lbs). It made me feel like I was over feeding her and that I should cut back, but I do not want to deprive her of food. It made me really upset and I felt like I was failing at feeding her correctly. Any advice?

Caileen07

Asked by Caileen07 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put an infant on a diet? Are you kidding?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My dd is almost five weeks and she takes 4 oz every 3 hours during the day. At night she takes 4oz every 4 to 5 hours sometimes 6 hours. As long as she is content and gaining weight like she should it's fine
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yea this woman said she was gaining weight too fast and I thought she was crazy for saying it. I am not going to not feed my baby, plus I didn't ask for her opinion I was meeting with her for myself.
    Caileen07

Answer by Caileen07 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• At 6 weeks you feed a baby how ever much she wants. Babies act purely on instinct so if right now that is 3oz every 3 or 4 hours then great, that's what she needs. Feed her what she will eat and take her growing as a sign of good health! You are not failing in feeding her when you are following her cues. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• dont feel bad at 6 weeks my daughter was eating 4oz every 2 hours and her doctor said she is gaining weight beautifully
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 2:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My 6 week old eats 6 oz every 3-5 hours. She just started this a little over a week ago, before she would eat 4 oz every 3 hours. she just started wanting more. My princess was 10lbs 10 oz at 5 weeks (born 9lbs 4oz).
    Fusion8

Answer by Fusion8 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010