Do you cover?

DH and I converted to Judaism and I have been trying to cover my hair. But I always feel I look stupid with it on. Does this feeling ever go away? Am I just not use to it because its new to me? Did any of you ever have these feelings about when you cover? I just feel like I can never get it right.

LollipopDream

Asked by LollipopDream at 11:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It does feel odd at first, but you do get used to it. I prefer tichels & hats because I can't get past the idea of wearing a sheitl; it just seems wrong to me because a sheitl looks like hair, so you really can't tell you are covered, plus I think it is a way to get around the mitzvah, thus negating it. But that is me....for you, you should trial different types of headcoverings until you find one you like. You could just start with a wide hairband or a cute kerchief until you get used to feeling something on your head, then move on to something more substantial like a tichel, snood or cap and, if you are comfortable with the idea, possibly a sheitl.

Maybe reading this article would help: http://www.aish.com/f/rf/48944771.html
    Anonymous

• You may want to check out one of the Jewish boards on here. I know they had a whole a few months ago about head coverings.

I am not Jewish, but my hubby and I have been interested in coverting to Judaism. It's just been a slow process with us.

Anonymous

• LOL You know I cover sweets!

YES! That feeling does go away but it does take time.

Don't worry too much, you will get used to it soon.

:*
    AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 12:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm not Jewish, but I know years ago Catholic women were supposed to cover their heads because of what was written by St. Paul in the New Testament about women covering their heads because their hair being "their crowning glory". Some women still cover their heads at Mass, but most do not. It's not enforced anymore. Don't know about Jewish faith.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• maybe that religion isnt for you. i saw your picture and your hair isnt covered. It looks like your into makeup and doing your hair. Just dont change your religion. I personally think hair and make up come first but thats just me. especially when that person is interested in look good like you. Your hair looks like it took some time to do. I would never cover my hair. especially if thats not my religion or race.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

--------
    has it ever occurred to you that maybe that is an old pic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It looks like your into makeupLOTS of people from religions who cover their hair still do their makeup. Muslims do their makeup and cover their hair and they look absolutely beautiful, as do the Jews who do the same  Just dont change your religion, She already has, she is now a Jew. I personally think hair and make up come first but thats just me and you sound very shallow especially when that person is interested in look good like you, you don't know her, but most importantly, just because someone covers their hair does not mean they cannot or do not look good or that they can't do their makeup. I would never cover my hair. especially if thats not my religion . It IS her religion

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• gosh..ya'll made me look...i have no answer for the op, as being baptepiscomethoterian doesn't require head covering...silly anons piqued my curiosity and i checked out your pic. very pretty!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Maybe it will take some time getting used to... I imagine that it would, you're changing the way you do something every day, KWIM? You'd look lovely any which way you covered your hair!!
    sobeitlove

Answer by sobeitlove at 8:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm Jewish and I cover my hair. I wear a baseball cap or a hat or a scarf. I never wore a snood or a sheitel. It seems weird at first and it does take time. Imo I would do little steps. Start by only covering your hair for shabbos, then the weekend then move on. Good luck!
    Anonymous