How to deal with my soon to be 8 year old?

My son will be 8 January 8th and he seems to be getting harder to deal with. I have him in counseling and it do help but after 2 days he back to being him old self. I try corners and taking things away. I home school him because of him being sick all the time. He was born with breathing problems and a heart problem so he has been in the hospital over 28 times.
When i was a child i got my butt spanked but i am trying very hard not to do that to him. Please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you give him everything he wants because of his condition!? We some times do this to "make up" for their ailments. When kids are given everything and never have to earn it, it tends to make them think that the world revolves around them and they don't need to show appreciation/ because they don't know what it is. If that's not the case perhaps you two need to open up and talk more, not like he's a baby but a young man old enough to know where you're coming from. My dd is 9 and we had issues in the past. I talk to her just like any body else, not because I see her as my equal but because children want to be spoken to like any body that wants respect and consideration. I think about how Jesus spoke with the kids when he did the Sermon on the Mount, He spoke to them not as adults but in a way they could understand. My dd are close because of this and understand each other better. I trea all 4 equally but speak to them in ways
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• that they could understand according to age. My youngest are 3. I love our lines of communication. This is my experience and thoughts!!!! I know not all parents agree!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009