Can somebody please help me ASAP?!?

My son is six months old and I've put him to sleep 4 times tonight. I get him to a point where he is completely limp and I go to put him in his crib and he wakes up and starts crying. My sister suggested elevating his head a little, that he might have indigestion...it didn't work. My mother suggested giving him baby tylenol because he's teething...that didn't work. Please give me some suggestions!

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try holding him wrapped in his blanket and when you put him down make it's under him, even his head... it may be the change in temperature of what he's sleeping on. We used to call that reaction a 'sheet allergy.'

You may also be inadvertently waking him... if you're taking him from a warm, brightish room with a fair amount of noise in it into a cool, dark quiet room, the change may be startling... try leaving the door open more so there is light and noise from the rest of the house. We're used to the idea that babies need dark and quiet to sleep in, but babies aren't in on it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh and he's not running a fever and his belly is soft and he had a BM today and he's passing gas with no problem!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 11:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I know that with my son he wanting to be in motion a lot...loved the swing on the low setting. Is he still small enough to swaddle easily? that may work.. .good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I used Motrin for teething pain, it's usually better than Tylenol in killing the pain. Maybe he just wants to be with Mom. Can you just elevate him, give him a bottle or binky and when he's really out, move the blanket or pillow?
    Anonymous

• Motrin is soo much better. We use to have to swaddle him and rock him or maybe he was hungry. If that didn't work then we were hanging out in the living room all night.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Go sleep with him. Sometimes my LO will wake frequently until I go to bed... could be anything, but you being there will probably help.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I had the same issue with my son when he was about that age. I found that swaddling him made a huge difference. I would swaddle him nice and tight and then rock him to sleep. Once he was out I would lay him down. Since he was wrapped securely he seemed to not notice that I had put him down. Once he got too big to swaddle completely I would swaddle the top half of his body and keep his legs free.. that still seemed to do the trick. Good luck :)
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 12:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• how about driving him around for a while or sitting with him on top of the washer. the vibrations are usually soothing for babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Maybe he has an ear infection and it hurts his little ears when you lay him down. Maybe he's so cozy in your arms and when you lay him down he's no longer surrounded by your warm. Maybe he's sleeping listening to your heartbeat and when you lay him down that sound is gone. Maybe he's starting to get a bit sick and he just wants to be cuddled. Maybe he's hungry - 6 months is a growth-spurt age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If everything seems OK- it may just be one of those nights. I found that the more I freaked out and tried to get them to sleep the more frustrated I became and they sensed it and could not fall asleep. Try just holding him for longer and see if he falls asleep and stays asleep. These nights use to drive me up a wall- but now that I have a 15 year old that can go days with only grunting at me- a baby that is fussy sounds pretty good! Hang in there Momma- he will fall asleep. We have all been there- done that!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2009