How do you prepare your Neocate formula?

My daughter has a severe allergy to milk protein and has been put on Neocate. She is doing wonderful on it. Per the manufacturers instructions on their site and on the can it says basically to prepare a 5 oz bottle to put in 5 level scoops of the powder and then add water to the bottle up to the 5 oz. line. If you do that though you end up with about 4.5 oz of formula so I put in water up to about the 5.5 oz line to make 5 oz. Am I diluting it by doing that? On another site it says when you prepare powdered formula that its supposed to be one scoop of powdered formula to 2 oz. of water - but Neocate is different from regular formulas so does this even apply? Confused, shouldn't be this hard. Neocate feeding mama's set this straight for me please :). PS - I will ask my dr as well in a couple of days at my daughters appt. wanting to ask you Mommy's as well though in the meantime. Thanks!

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 12:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was a Neocate baby and I’m also a nutrition specialist at Nutricia, the company that makes Neocate, so I thought I could help clarify! What you are doing is absolutely correct - you will usually have to add additional water to get the full 5 oz. of prepared formula. While the formula may seem thin compared to other formulas, it is more similar in thickness to breastmilk. Hope this helps! Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions :).
    SarahNutrition

Answer by SarahNutrition at 10:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Usually instructions need to be followed precisely because "watering" can cause problems. Half an ounce isn't much watering but half an ounce plus half an ounce plus half an ounce...it adds up and I don't think I'd want to take any chances. Do talk to your doc but I'd follow the can directions to the letter.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009