Is it best to keep a newborn on a feeding schedule or to feed when they want it?

I had my baby on the 27th he is 2 days old. I was kept in the hospital an extra day cause he wasnt eating properly. They wanted him to eat 25ml every 2 hours. He couldnt eat that much. So one of the nurses said give him 20-25ml every 3 hours. Its working. well he likes to suck on his bottom lip and his hands. My Mom is freaking out saying he is hungry and giving me signs. Should I stray from a schedule or should I stick with it?

Also... How will I know when to up his feedings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed him when he wants to eat but make sure you write it down when you feed him. Also write down diaper changes pee and poo. The doctor will ask you how much he's eating and how many wet and soiled diapers, so make sure you know.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Feed on demand. When he starts showing signs of being hungry (sucking, rooting, mouthing, etc...) feed him. Is he having trouble latching on--or... ?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• He wouldnt latch on to my breast at all. Even the nurses couldnt get him to do it. They said just to pump. He was having trouble with the nipples they provided at the hospital. So we got special nipples and now he is fine and eating well.

Also he sucks his bottom lip. We even have Ultrasound video of him doing this. How do I know if he is just sucking his lips for comfort or if he is hungry?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• At that stage they should eat every 1-2 hrs for breastfed or breastmilk babies and usually 2- 3 hrs for formula babies. You'll know when he's hungry. When he's hungry he will start screaming and let you know. Don't go over three hours without feeding him and you should be fine. RELAX already....you'll know.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• He's only 2 days old... it can take weeks before he learns to latch on, you have to keep trying. Pumping is not always effective at maintaining supply and it can be a lot of work as baby increases his needs. For your own sanity, you need to work on him latching.

Has he been checked for tongue-tie? Hearing that he has trouble will bottles even points to that for me and it's an easy fix.

Come over to the breastfeeding moms group for some advice, great group! Also, look up your local LLL and they should be able to help you.

As for sucking his lip... not sure. I always fed at first sign of sucking... but, then, babies can nurse at the breast for as long as they want. An experienced bottle-feeder should be able to help you... but, again, focus on getting him to latch and it'll be a non-issue.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• At only two days, it's early to expect him to get latching right. Mine refused for two solid weeks! Drop by the Breastfeeding moms group if you want some help in this area.

But feed on demand, especially this early. You and clocks should have nothing to do with each other for now. They'll merely make you nuts.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2009