is a temp of 96.3 F bad for a 6 month old?

yanni2b1

Asked by yanni2b1 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• where are you taking it? arm pit? rectal?
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• digital ear
    yanni2b1

Answer by yanni2b1 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's not terrible. Baby's temperatures tend to be a little higher than ours usually, but that's not low enough to cause concern I wouldn't think.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 1:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• yes. it is a cause for concern. In a very young baby a low temperature is treated the same as a fever. Contact your doctor and learn to take a temp rectally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• http://www.revolutionhealth.com/articles/rectal-ear-oral-and-axillary-temperature-comparison/tw9223

hmm..... here is a link for temps....

if you have one, and you are willing i would try to do it rectally with babies this is the most accurate way (so ive heard and actually just read looking that up for ya lol)

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I had the same question the other day for my dd. Her rectal temp was reading 96.4! I considered her temp could be lower if she is cold herself. Is she dressed fully and your home cold or hot. It's the same as for a fever but backwards, if baby has a fever and is bundled up, undress all the way down to her diaper and see if it goes down before giving fever reducer. It is always best to let them fight off LOW grade fever on thier own before giving a fever reducer. If temp is LOW try bundling them up a bit. Little ones system is immature and they have trouble regulating thier temp like we do. The temp of the environment can cause it to go upand down easily. Try bundling baby and if it is still low ask your pedi. Probably harmless but better safe then sorry. Babies lose temp thru thier heads and feet as do we too so socks and a beani cap may help all by itself with pj's and a light blankie.
    eyedoleyes

Answer by eyedoleyes at 1:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Oh and I agree with the doing it rectally rather than ear or armpit. Armpit can be lower than the actual core temp if it is cooler in the room plus you have to get it placed just right for accuracy, and ear is difficult too with infants because alot of the ear probes are actually to large to fit properly in the ear canal to get an accurate reading. My pedi actually told me to Always do a rectal temp till baby is 2. I just keep a bottle of vaseline and thermometer marked rectal, so it doesn't get mixed up with the oral for the older kids, on her dresser. I don't use probe covers on it because I have found it sometime splits when I insert it and then comes off when I pull it out and the I have to grab it with my hand a pull it out. I just wipe it off with a baby wipe and then wipe it with an alchohol pad and air dry before putting it back in the cover.
    eyedoleyes

Answer by eyedoleyes at 1:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• get a rectal thermometer (sp?) the ear ones aren't very accurate, or so I have been told by several peds. double check the temp with the new thermometer, and call your ped if its still below 97 or about 102
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 6:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• you know your infant has a fever when the entire body is hot to the touch. it is not really necessary to monitor the temp so closely. Don't worry so much!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• not at all. you can call the doctor if you want but as long as your 6 month old is acting alright its probally nothing. babies also tend to get higher temps when they are teething. my son was running a 99.9 temp and i took him to the doctor and it was because he was teething. the doctors are looking for babies who have like a 99 temp but they are acting miserable. so basically thats what i was told.
    damiens_mommyxo

Answer by damiens_mommyxo at 11:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2009