What is the right age and weight for a child to be in a booster set?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Booster seats are for older children who have outgrown their forward-facing car safety seats. Children should stay in a booster seat until adult belts fit correctly (usually when a child reaches about 4' 9" in height and is between 8 and 12 years of age). I found this specific information here: http://www.healthychildren.org/english/safety-prevention/on-the-go/pages/Car-Safety-Seats-Information-for-Families-09.aspx and it gives guidelines for other seats as well.

ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• 20 - 30lbs usually around 2 or 3 depending on their size for the 5 star harness. Car seats and booster seats usually indicate it on the box. As for the booster seats that you just fasten the belt across depend on the style. 30 - 100lbs with back, 40 - 100lbs with out the back. Depends on what you can afford too! Go to evenflo.com and search the booster seats.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They must be at least 40lbs. and 4yrs. old at a minimum to use a booster seat with the seatbelt.

It is better to keep them harnessed as long as possible if your seat allows it (depending upon your child's height and weight) because it is safer. When you do switch to a booster seat the highback boosters are preferable to the backless type because they provide some side impact protection and help to position the seatbelt better on the child's shoulder.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

Not all states have this requirement. Like mine! My son is in a booster because he has outgrown his 5point harness in height.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I was wondering the same thing! My son is getting to be too tight in his car seat....seems like he is just too tall for it. But I didn't like the idea of a booster just yet. On the other hand his current car seat just doesn't seem to be quite right for him. He's 37 pounds and a little on the tall side for his age. He just turned three. I really still want him in a car set type of chair for the car. It feels so much more secure to me than a booster right now.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009