Is this too much for a 2 day old baby to eat?

My Doctors went bymilliliters so all of our bottles are measured by ML not OZ.. Well the hospital said 25 ml was good for a new baby. Tonight my baby had 11ml of pumped breastmilk then 15ml of formula. He spit up kind of a lot... Then drank the bottle of formula almost down to 40ml.. from the 15 he had already drank... Is this a lot or too much? I don't want to starve him but I dont want to let him get so full he gets sick either. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you using formula? throw away and get rid of the formula and just breast feed! why are you even using both. Duh he is going to throw up. your mixing formula when he just had breast milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Something my pediatrician told me...your baby will not eat too much. They eat until they are full, then they stop. At 2 days, it's possible you just aren't producing enough milk yet and there is no problem with FF to supplement. Spit up happens! It usually has more to do with bubbles and air in the tummy than overeating :-)

Also, Anon...the woman that TEACHES breastfeeding at the hospital says there is no problem doing both until your milk comes in. Sometimes it takes longer for some women. For me, it didn't come in at all.
    Lissachck

Answer by Lissachck at 3:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Lisa dont yell at me okay? thank you and i can care less what teacher says. the baby wont starve if the BM wont come in 2 seconds. There are other natural things she can do to make her milk produce like vitamins and other things. She does not need to use formula
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I wasn't yelling. I was making one word more prevalent than the others to show the importance. It's a big difference. Does she -need- to use formula? No. I didn't say she did. But I also know that it's not making her baby sick. She can make whatever choices she wants in the meantime. None of us need to tell her what she should and shouldn't feed her baby. It's her choice.
    Lissachck

Answer by Lissachck at 3:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• haha anon 3:27 that's just too funny to me...so it's better not to feed that baby when you don't have milk yet rather than giving formula...okayyyy. Interesting :)
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• if the milk isn't in there is still colostrum which is all the baby needs at 2 days old. No need to supplement with formula at 2 days old. Most of the time milk doesn't come in for 3-7 days after birth. The baby won't starve because there is colostrum.

OP- it may have been too much, or it maybe that the formula doesn't agree with him, or it may have just been too fast. Make sure to burp him during the feedings, it's possible he had a big gas bubble and it made him spit up. Good luck and congrats on your new baby.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Was he born early? 3 of my 4 had a reflux problem!! They were all 2 weeks early!! I had a problem nursing most of them & ended up bottle feeding them!! they couldn't take much without throwing it back up!! We had to start out small & closer together time wise & work our way up!! Doing better by the time they were 2 weeks old. Congratulations on your new baby!!
    LoriLynn686
    LoriLynn686

Answer by LoriLynn686 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You really should try to only BF; it's better for you and baby in the long run. That being said, yes, I think the baby ate too much. One day olds have tiny stomachs. So 15-20 ml's should have been fine. You can do both formula and BF, but *personally* I wouldn't mix them. What I did with my oldest was BF then topped him off with 1/2 an ounce if he seemed hungry. This is not something I would do now, necessarily, but it got me through back then.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 7:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• The supplementing is not needed and can afect how fast your milk comes in. colostrom is all a baby needs the first few days. skin to skin and baby at breast often to suckle will encourage your milk--thats how it works! no pacifiers!   The baby knows how much to eat. at breast they must actively suckle to get it and the flow is not constant. with a bottle it is difficult to regulate and the get more than the intend (its swallow or choke)! bottles also interfere with latching. if you must supplement use a baby cup, spoon, or dropper. go to:   http://www.drjacknewman.com/   and  http://www.kellymom.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What you're measuring by the ML is colostrum. Colostrum packs about 16x the calories and nutrients per oz, so only very small amounts are needed. So... while 20ml of colostrum is plenty, baby might need 2oz of formula. Your milk should come in soon.. are you pumping regularly?

Again... work on latching! Get that tongue checked out and see a IBCLC or the LLL.

Oh, and they *will* overeat from the bottle for the simple reason that the flow never changes. They are set up to nurse from a breast where they will only get drops of colostrum at a time, and when your milk comes in, a letdown and then drops of hindmilk while they happily comfort nurse. I'd give the colostrum only and then offer a finger or paci to suck on. Remember, small amounts, frequently.

She's having to supplement *only* because she's having latching issues. Ordinarily, if baby is at the breast, you would not need to supplement until milk comes in.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2009