Would you be pi$$ed off?

I just had the sheriff's dept here, searching my house for a 16 yr old run a way that I had known because I babysat her brothers and sister over 17 yrs ago. Her mom talked to a close family member of mine (who absolutely has tried everything to wreck my life and make it a living hell) and gave the police MY address and told them to look at my house!

So, they come pounding on my door at 2am to look through my house for her - even though they BOTH knew I hadn't had any contact with her for over 6 mos!

So, my kids were all awaken and pretty frightened by having a flashlight in their face asking them what their name was and if they knew where she was! My kids are 13, 9 and 7!

I am SOOOOOOOOO pissed! I told the police I hoped she was all right and they said

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP here: Anyone who thinks that I should "get over it" try having your own family trying to destroy your life and your family on a daily basis. This girl is a good kid, getting slapped around by her mom and no one is doing anything about it. I think that she needs to be removed from her mom's house, but because of my own kids, I would not harbor a runaway.
    The issue at hand here is that by the admission of the police last night, this girl is NOT in immediate danger: "I'm sure she will be ok"...The issue is that this family member will stop at NOTHING to harass me! I am so sick of this crap! I can't do anything about it. I have filed complaints, but the police just tell me that it's a civil matter.
    Anonymous

• I feel you hun, and I too would be upset. Yet to be fair they're doing their job. You know your situation & the ppl who have been trying to "wreck your life" as you put it. But the police were just going off what was told to them, it's pretty sad your kids had to go through that. I'm really sorry. Hope things start looking up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Ya I'd be mad that they came into my house and shined anything in my childrens face! At that time it does make me say, hmmm why didn't they wait till like atleast 5;30 am why the need to wake evryone up and do the search?Whats that all about? Seems like there 's more here than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• really sorry they came at 2am. But they are doing their jobs. Ask yourself this would you have wanted them to wait a few hours to make it a decent time if this run away was your child? NO you wouldn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I had the cops show up @ my house @ 2 am for some bs involving a stolen car in the next county that had NOTHING to do w/ me or anybody I know, they were a%#holes about it, didn't apologize for waking my (had just fallen asleep) 5 wk old, peeled their tires out of my driveway & woke up all my neighbors too. One got an attitude w/ me about it the next day!!!! At least w/ you they were looking for a person you actually knew!! Yeah I'd be pissed but if I was the girls mom & the cops didn't check it out I'd be pissed too, they do things @ that hour cuz most ppl are sleeping so they get the element of surprise. BTW unless they have a warrent you don't have to let them in!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Did they find the kiddo? I guess with all of the kidnapping and everything else they had to come and search, but the person who told them could be facing a suit of false reporting,....could you imagine if while they were wasting time searching your house,,,,the child was being raped or killed? How selfish of that woman to waste the police's time know ing that they wouldn't find anything! I hope your kids were not scared too bad,,, but the cops had no way of knowing this was a false report!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I agree with anon 821.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They can't just search your house because they thought a runaway "might" be there. Did they have a search warrant? I think there is more to this story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• i guess i'd have to ask myself, would i want the police to search ANY and EVERY lead they were given to find my child, no matter what the hour was. yeah, i would demand they search anywhere, at any hour of the day or night. i could not care less who i woke up in the process. when a child is missing, every minute they are not found, is important, and its a minute closer to losing 'sight' of where that child may be. the window of opportunity is only open a small amount.
    be selfish on your own time...if my child is missing, you'd better believe your time is mine, too.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You people are missing the point. The cops are not the issue here...it's whoever told them to check her house knowing the kids wasn't there and with no reason to believe they would be there. This isn't helping a case...it's wasting the cop's time when they could be looking into leads that are actually worth something. As you said, the window of time is only open for so long, so giving information without justification or reason is actually hurting the efforts to find this child. Plus, she was a runaway, not a kidnap victim. It's not quite the same stastically in terms of finding the kid alive and unharmed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2009