when do kids sleep from 8 pm to 5 am? my kid is 10 months and gets up 2 times int he night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is he waking to eat?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 7:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Every child is different. My oldest didn't sleep all night til he was around a year old (maybe a little older) - he would still wake up in the night to nurse. But my newest lil' guy (he's just 11 weeks old) has been sleeping 6-10 hours a night for almost a month now.
    charity987

Answer by charity987 at 7:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• my son would wake up thirsty. I kept a bottle of water in his bed where he could get to it. then he would wake up, find his bottle and lay back down. He didn't sleep through the night till he was almost two!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 7:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• mine is 19 months and sleeps 9 hours gets changed and a cup then goes back to sleep for 2 to 3 more hours it is great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Kids, even in the same family, are different. My first slept from her last bottle at 10 pm till waking up at 6 am, from the day she came home from the hospital--3 days old. Her younger brother did not sleep through the night till he was almost 3 years old. Same home, same parents, same routine, different sleeping patterns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• people don't realize that we all have periods wherewe wake at night, and babies more so, because they do not remember waking or their babies don't call out. People wongly assume that if their babies do not wake the house that baby never wakes. Not true! We all wake at least once to pee, get a drink, adjust blankets, etc if the need is urgent or preventing sleep...a baby can't meet their own needs. The can't make their own bottle the way a pregnant woman can get a snack. Teething and major milestones also affect their length of sleep. The first year is very very variable, and sleep patterns won't be mature and more settled until 3-4 years old. Just before a growth spurt hunger is more urgent making baby wakeful more often then there is a period of longer sleep during the spurt. 9 hours is a long time to fast and may happen occationally, but don't expect it to happen all the time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What people really mean when they say "she should be sleeping from 8 pm to 5 am straight" is that THEY aren't being disturbed enough to remember waking themselves. But that won't mean they'll not be hungry or wake up anywa without calling outy

If the baby is well rested and happy, a brief wake to address a need is good and indicates that they've had enough healthy sleep. The few minutes of eating or a diaper change is soothing and encourages a calm return to sleep
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• all kids are definitely diff3erent.

my oldest slept all night at around 8 months, then had a period around 18 months where she'd wake. but now she's in bed at 7:30 and up at 7 - she's 8.5 now.

my middle STILL wakes up a few times every night - its a very rare night that she sleeps all night. she stays in bed but I can hear her up and about. she's 6.5

my youngest has been sleeping all night since she was 18months. but she's also on a medication that puts her to sleep (anticonvulsant) . She had seizures so we had to medicate.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• AGREE-All kids are diffrent.

Some need more sleep then others-my 11 year old is always tired early, where my 7 year old would like to stay up late. Go figure, try keeping the baby up later.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• 2 times is no big deal, lots of kids get up a couple of times at night. With my son he was getting up 4-5 times/night at 11 months. The thing that was preventing him from being a good sleeper was we were still rocking and feeding him to sleep and sneaking him into his crib... we broke that habit and he's been a good sleeper ever since.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009