How much change do we really need?

We used to have a strong dollar...
Politicians changed that.
We used to be respected around the world...
Politicians changed that.
We used to have a strong manufacturing economy...
Politicians changed that
We used to have lower tax structures...
Politicians changed that.
We used to enjoy more freedoms...
Politicians changed that.
We used to be a large exporter of American-made goods...
Politicians changed that.
We used to teach patriotism in schools...
Politicians changed that
We used to educate children in schools...
Politicians changed that.
We used to enforce LEGAL citizenship...
Politicians changed that.
We used to have affordable food & gas prices...
Politicians changed that, too...
and one could go on and on with this list.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Carpy it is a huge shame what has become of us...we do have some history that is :ahem: not so favoralble in some areas BUT we have thrown away all of the wonderful that we had as well..like throwing the baby out with the bath water..just because something was done such and such way 30,40,50 or more yrs ago and say there was troubles in other ways those years ago doesnt mean lets toss it all out that it is ALL bad..hope I made sense there LOL im trying to

I feel like we have progressed in some great ways but in some ways we have created a nasty mess.IMO we are totally losing America.. losing her heritage..losing a love for country (amoung our youth esp) and some may not think these things of importance but imo it is of HUGE importance..and on diversity its nice but if we have so many that want to wave around the flag of that country they left and show no real respect for that which they now are a part of..we have a
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What hasn't been changed, politicians are promising to change that as well, if you will elect them. When is America going to sit back with open eyes and look at what we once were and where we have come and say "enough is enough"?

The trouble is, America's youthful voters today don't know of the great America that existed forty and fifty years ago. They see the world as if it has always existed as it is now. And text books are even being changed to hide the facts of our great past.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Those aren't my words but I agree with them 100%
    Carpy

• The only change we need is back to:

Walk softly but carry a big stick.

Parents can discipline their child in the way they see best without fear of the government intervening.

Prayer back in schools, in our courthouses, at our ball games or wherever people decide they want to practice their religion. If you don't practice, then don't participate.

The government is just a system of organization of our laws with a leader to coordinate the states. There are no entitilement programs at all.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• jesse123456: Prayer back in schools, in our courthouses, at our ball games or wherever people decide they want to practice their religion. If you don't practice, then don't participate.

Are you flippin' serious? You think religion is the answer? All it has done is separate us even more. As for your 'don't practice don't participate' bullshit THAT  is trampling on MY freedoms. I should have the freedom to go to a ballgame or any public place and NOT hear a Christian prayer over the loudspeaker. I see you're all for rights as long as they coincide with YOUR beliefs. Arrogance at it's finest...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• IMO, the Two-Party system in our Country has lead to our downfall. The entire Government is filled with Democrats and Republicans who don't have our best interest at heart and are greedy to the core. The whole system is corrupt and needs an overhaul. I'd even go as far as to say they ALL need to be kicked out of their positions and we start over from scratch.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Ihartyou do you have a problem if it were a Muslim prayer?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes. There should be NO prayer in public places or even symbols of ANY religion. If you want religion- keep it in your home or place of worship and that way you never infringe on the rights of others.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• and to add to Jesse's comments....

Return of the traditional nuclear family! Is it any wonder that the further this country has moved away from and accepted the non-traditional nuclear family, the sharper the increase in societal problems? (massive increases in long-term welfare recipients, child support problems/"dead beat dads," multiple children from multiple partners, increases in crime and depression in today's youth, etc.)

I grew up in a very unhealthy, non-nuclear family, replete with all kinds of drama, that I wouldn't wish for anyone, and I made it my mission to give my children what I didn't have by establishing a healthy and stable nuclear family for them. I simply don't understand why more women don't/won't demand the same.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• problem there too.Anyway..there are ,like you say, MANY factors that have contributed to it...and yes some of our politicians have been a huge part of the creation...but we are to blame as well..weather it be those who have worked on wanting rid of America the great and to be like everyone else for years and years or those who have been too complacent...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2009