What is the best way to get children to share a room?

I have a 17 month old and a 3 month old and they will be sharing a room. My 3 month old is in our bedroom and I can't wait to get her out (every noise she makes I'm up) but I'm scared that they will not be able to sleep in the same room. Courtney (3 months) still takes a while to go to sleep and we need to give back her paicfer more times then I can count before she falls a sleep and Hunter(17 months) goes right down NO fuss at all but he normally goes down before his sister. Please Help?!?!

littlefee89

Asked by littlefee89 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know you aren't going to like this but they shouldn't be sharing a room until both of them sleep through the night. It isn't fair that you older daughter has to be woken up. You are the parent and have to suffer the trials of being so you children need sleep and putting them together now is only going to cause a problem for both of them. Have you thought of switching who is in your room? Have the older one in a crib in your room so you don't get woke up as much.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I am sorry I meant your son that was rude of me not to check.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm sorry She doesn't wake up anymore. She Sleeps till 7 to 7 it's just the noises she makes. I would be fine with night time feedings but shes just moving around or cooing
    littlefee89

Answer by littlefee89 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• That would wake your son as well, does he sleep quietly? IF so switch them until she is a little older. Also not to be a butt but in most states it is against the law for a brother and sister to share a bedroom. Be careful with that.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• In regard to a law about siblings sharing a room: I have been searching what you said about it being against the law in some states and I can't find anywhere that says that's true. The only time I have seen any mention of siblings not being allowed to share a room is if you are getting subsidized housing. To the OP, children can be pretty heavy sleepers, so she might not wake up your son, the only thing you can do is try it out. My kids shared at room when they were 3 yrs old and 8 months old. At the time the 8 mo. old was still waking up for nighttime feedings, none of those times did the 3 yr old wake up. Put your son to bed first and once he is asleep, put your daughter to bed. Like I said, all you can do is try. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's against the law in some states for babies of the opposite sex to share a room? Wow, I didn't know that. My son and daughter shared a room for a few years.....
    OP- if they both sleep through the night it shouldn't be an issue. Is the 17 mth old in a crib also? I would only be concerned that your son would climb into the crib with your dd, but if he is in a crib also I guess it's a non issue ;-)
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 10:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes the 17 month is still in his crib but we also need the crib for the 3 month old...thats the next problem do I switch him and get him settled in his big boy bed, then put her in the room or put her in the room and then switch him to his big boy bed?
    littlefee89

Answer by littlefee89 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would say get him a big boy bed, get him used to sleeping in that, and then move her into the room. I have a friend who is in the process of doing this exact same thing, her oldest is now used to the bed and they are starting to move the baby into the room (just naps for now, and overnight in the next few weeks).
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• There are no laws about siblings sharing a room. I wish people would stop propagating that myth.
    I waited until my kids were about 6 months to move them out of my room just to be sure they were sleeping solidly through the night and falling asleep pretty easily. Also by that age they were starting to put their pacifiers back in their mouth on their own. Even #3 who was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks. once she was 6 months she moved in with her brother. He was 19 months at the time. He was in the crib and she was in the pack n play (we never had more then 1 crib for 3 kids under 3).
    Both were very heavy sleepers so they rarely woke each other up and on the occasion the baby did wake up in the middle of the night my son would just sit there and stare at her or, after moving out of the crib at 20 months, he would try to comfort her by finding her pacifier and talking to her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have the answer for lost pacifiers! When dd1 was a baby, she kept losing her pacifiers during the night, then she would wake up crying. I would find them under the crib. She had a bear that overalls sown on but the straps were loose. I attached her pacifier to the overall strap. The bear is too big to fall through the cracks. Also, when I took her pacifier, she still had her bear to sleep with. I did that for dd2 also. When she was 2, she threw her pacifier away one morning. At naptime that day, she held up her bear and cried “bear.” I told her she was a big girl and big girls don’t use pacifiers. She never cried for it again. She slept with her bear for a long time, but that is not a big deal. Both girls still sleep with dolls and bears.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009