3 questions regarding a Newborn

If i keep my house at 72, do i nee to keep the hat on him all the time. If i do, for how long until i can go without it. How long does he need to be swaddled for? First month? First couple of months? And if his days and nights are mixed up, how do i switch them around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you don't have to keep the hat on. He doesn't need to be swaddled now and if he lets you I say yay for you my dd un-swaddled the day she was born and everytime after that. SOme babies like to be free. Switching the days and night is ticky do it slowly. With my dd she wouldn't go to bed til 1 am. So I backed it down to midnight then 11 then 10 and she still goes to bed at ten now. Good luck and congrats.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Hi and Congrats!!!! 72 is a good temp. the general rule of thumb is to dress the baby as you would dress with one extra layer. I kept a hat on my newborn for about the first week. I swaddled her at night until almost 3 months, she just slept better when she didn't move around so much and the are accustom to being in a very snug environment.
    The days and night just worked themselves out naturally...it will take a few weeks.
    Just remember that your baby will be a different baby in a month! And enjoy him while he is tiny. Good luck and Hugs!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• As with most things in the next few years...follow your baby's lead. I never kept hats on my newborn past the first few days. I did keep them in sleepers or wrapped up in swaddling blankets though to keep them warm. You'll have to experiment to see what your baby prefers. My daughter hated to be swaddled so it was sleepers only for her. My son hates to be cold, so he's in sleepers and swaddled. He doesn't ever need to be swaddled...newborns just often prefer it because it mimics the feeling of the womb. Once he starts kicking off the blanket, then you need to stop swaddling him...no loose bedding rule. Some babies last until 6 mo. ...other babies start kicking it off at one month, etc. As for days and nights...keep in mind that newborns and young babies sleep A LOT! My son is 6 weeks and is only awake for a total of 6 hours or so in any given day. Also, well rested babies sleep better than overly tired ones...DO NOT
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My baby NEVER wore a hat (except outside), and I keep my house at 68... As for the swaddling, you don't NEED to do it at all, if you don't want to, but let me tell you, it makes a world of difference with fussy babies, they sleep much better that way. I kept swaddling mine until he could get his arms out himself. At this point, your baby is still too young (I'm assuming it's a newborn) to be able to distinguish between night and day, especially since he still needs to feed every 2-3 hours (depending on whether you breast feed or not, breast fed babies usually eat more frequently). Just give it a couple of months, see how he is then.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 9:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• keep your baby up all day in an attempt to get them to go to sleep at night...it will backfire. Come up with a consistent bedtime ritual and stick to it. Bath, nursing with music in a dark room, burp, swaddle, bed. Make sure you do it every night. Encourage your baby to awake at several points during the day by interacting with him, putting him in a baby gym or swing with interesting things to look at. Do not interact during the night time feedings...feed and swaddle and back to bed. Also, keep in mind that a very young baby might be sensitive to light and therefore keeps eyes shut during the day. Try lowering the amount of light in your home to encourage baby to open eyes and look at you. This doesn't last too long though...they get used to it after a couple of weeks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My babies only wore hats when they went outside. With swaddling each of my children was different - it depends on whether they like it or not. My oldest loved and we swaddled him for a couple months, the other 3 were over it in a couple weeks. For switching days/nights, after the first 10 days or so (when I was working on establishing my supply and needed to nurse every 3 hours), I would wake my kids every 3 hours during the day to nurse and then at night I let them sleep as long as they would. They caught on pretty quickly to getting their long stretches of sleep at night.

Answer by missanc at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Congrats! I never kept a hat on my son. If you keep the house a reasonable temperature such as 72-73 degrees the baby will be warm. I would recommended swaddling the first 2 months. If the days and nights are mixed up. You need to start a bed time routine with him/her. I always gave my son a bath around 7:30 pm, lotion then dressed him in Pj's. Make sure you turn all the lights off when you feed your baby their nighttime bottle.
    newmom2be202

Answer by newmom2be202 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• The nurses in the hospital told me that a newborn can regulate his/her temperature after the first 24 hours and a hat is unnecessary if you keep the house fairly warm. Babies basically only need one more layer than adults to be comfortable. Swaddle him as for as long as he enjoys it (some don't) and make sure you expose him to light during the day to help reset his circadian rhythm.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• my son loved to be swaddled...if he was fussy, we would swaddle him and the fussiness would go away...and i agree with PP that you definitely need to let him know what the sunlight is...it helps them not be so confused about night and day
    Anonymous