People who don't want to hear public prayers or see religious symbols on Government property should just ignore it and shut up?

How do feel about this? Should religious people have the right to have everyone pray before sporting events (school or professional sports). Should the posting of religious symbols, versus or pictures on Government property be allowed?

Is it fair to place some one's right to religious expression over the rights of another to not have to be subjected to it? Are those who don't want to have dirty looks looks thrown at them for not bowing their heads in prayer before a High School graduation supposed to bare it, ignore and have their rights trampled on?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:08 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't understand why people have to pray in front of everyone, at a game or whatever, where many people aren't there to do that anyway. Why is it such a huge deal for them to shove it down everyone's throat? If you want to pray fine, do it. It doesn't have to be a big production. You can pray in your head, pray in church, at home, whereever but it should not be a spectator sport. I think it says more about wanting attention than it does about wanting to pray.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think that if they want to pray they can you don't have to participate. Also our country was founded for religious freedom taking it out of historical govt items is rude and disrespectful to the origins of our country.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm not against people praying at a restaurant before they eat or anything like that. What I don't agree with is being made to sit uncomfortably with people glaring at me because I refuse to bow my head and pray before someone gets their diploma or my kids take the soccer field. I think it infringes on the rights of the many religious and non religious people in our Country. Christians love to say they wouldn't mind being forced to sit through a Muslim prayer at a public function or having a verse from the Qu'ran on Government property, but I don't think that's true. They go on and on about their rights but as soon as someone wants to display something from another faith, they protest and scream about their rights being trampled on. It's like a total double standard!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What I think is unfair is that because everyone is so angry over Christians that they arent allowed to do anything anymore.
    You pray and suddenly someone turns it in to you were MAKING others do it.
    Its bull.
    If you dont like it noone is making you pray so dont.
    Just like I dont care for that witch craft stuff but Im not going to tell someone they cant do it. I just wont.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Religious freedom is one thing but seperation of church and state is another and, by the way, that is legal. Personally I've never understood the need to pray before a sporting event. I find it disrespectful to even associate that with religion. It's a game, for goodness sake. I feel like God has better things to do than watch and influence the outcome of a basketball or baseball game. As for this country being founded on religious freedom, that was not granted to the native people the colonists found here when they arrived and has always been a problem because everyone wants to force their beliefs on everyone else. Example: prayer at sporting events and religious symbols on government property.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think it says more about wanting attention than it does about wanting to pray.

I so agree with you anon.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Honestly, I think you should pretty much be able to do anything as long as it's not harming others,the religious intolerance is getting a bit ridiculous Do what you wanna do, live how you wanna live, if you don't like something someone is doing, ignore it, cause chances are they aren't going to like something you do.Do what makes you feel good.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 10:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• First of all I think that christians have shoehorned their religion into so many places that it didn't belong that now we're seeing the pendulum swing far back in the other direction. Right, wrong or indifferent, I think this backlash against christianity is because they've bludgeoned people with their religion for so long with little use for anything that didn't fit into their little box of what religion should be. People are now wanting THEIR religious views respected and it's coming at a price for christians. Personally I don't think that religion should be at these events unless their willing to represent ALL religion which is unfeasible. Hell, most towns can't put up a freaking menorah at hanukkah without half the town flipping out over it or it being vandalized so I don't believe those that say "we'd tolerate other prayers too". My town went to war over a mosque coming to town. Embarrassing...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Personally I think there are far more important things going on in this world than whether or not someone prays at any given time or place, or whether your particular views agree with those of your neighbor or whether or not someone builds a place in which to worship in their own way. You don't want to pray at a game, don't, you don't like the religious symbol on a building, don't look at it. How about instead of making an issue of these things, one makes an issue of homelessness, hunger and violence, etc....things we see right here at home, and take action about that instead of fighting to have some symbol removed just because you, personally, don't like it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• nothing should be forced. That means that prayer at a public event should not be mandated. Government funds should not go to religious events. It comes down to seperation of church and state. Put your religious symbols all over your private property in public view, but they don't belong on government property. Tax dollars certainly should not go to support any religion. Doing so takes the freedom out of religion!
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009