16 weeks and 1 cm dilated

I'm currently 16 weeks and I've been complaining lately about lower abdominal pain which has been coming and going for a few weeks now.. I went to the Dr and was told that it was just round ligament pain and to take Tylenol and use a heating pad.. So I'm like OK and just followed the Dr's orders. Then on Monday I started getting those same pains, but worst and instead of going and coming, it was constant. So I decided to go to the er on last night because of the pain and after running different test u/s and blood work came out fine.. BUT THE PART THAT SCARES ME IS WHEN THEY DID THE PELVIC EXAM I WAS TOLD THAT MY CERVIX IS ABOUT ABOUT 1 CM... BUT THEY STILL SENT ME HOME AND TOLD ME TO FOLLOW UP WITH MY DR.. WTF!!! So now I've been crying my eyes out worried because I've had prior miscarriages and I really don't want to lose this one.

ANY ADVICE IS WELL APPRECIATED...

Buffie04

Asked by Buffie04 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Relax getting upset will make it worse. If you have the pain again go back. 1cm is not a big deal. The pain is contractions and if it happens they can give you medicine to stop it, they can also stitch you shut. If you are that worried ask them to stitch you closed .
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• bed rest...don't do anything and they can give you meds to stop the labor
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This is not your first baby, a lot of women do not close up completely after having a baby so it is not uncommon to be 1cm dilated. I freaked with my second when the dr told me I was, but said it is normal for a second, or third pregnancy. Try to relax. PP had some good info for you also..

Also to give you and idea of what or how little 1cm actually is, take your finger and touch the tip of your nose, you should feel a slight indentation, that is what 1cm is.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Talk to your doctor about a cerclage (sir-claudge) I have to have one at 16 weeks because I have a weak cervix too. Relax. Breathe. Its going to be fine. They do them at 16 weeks to prevent premature labor. I am 11 weeks and I go to the Dr. Jan 5th to discuss my procedure. They will do it in the hospital under anestesia. Do research on it. They will take the stitch out at 36 weeks and let nature run its course. Everything will be ok. Don't stress. That is what cause me to go into actual labor is massive stress NOT because I was 2 cm dialated at 24 weeks its cause the doctor told me flat out point blank "you are about to have this baby" I freaked and THEN started having contractions, 2 days later he was here. But he is fine now. Good luck!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• At 24 weeks I was 6 cm dilated and didnt even know I was having any signs of contractions... They put me on strict bed rest and placed me on Magnesium. Stopped everything!!! Delivered at 38 weeks. Baby was fine I was fine.. There is so much they can do, relax, dont fret.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I cramped all night one night about 17 weeks too and was sooo scared that something bad was happenning. The doc had an u/s done in the morning just to re-assure and told me its very normal to have such pain around 16 to 17 weeks and I did some research online and did see that it is rather common at that stage. So it might be nothing, but still ask your doctor and talk to him/her until they give you all the answers. Some doctors dont volunteer information but if you ask the right questions, you should be able to ease your mind. Talk to him/her about what signs to look for, what preventive actions you could take, if any additional tests or procedures need to be done, how common is it to have 1cm dilation at this stage, should follow up exams be done to check if you are further dilating etc...
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009